The Sewing Place

Blocking boards

sewmuchmore

Blocking boards
« on: February 24, 2021, 17:04:26 PM »
Any recommendations? I have seen wooden ones with dowels and foam ones with long pins. I have never used one before but i have 160 shell shapes to block and from what i have seen you can do multiples on these boards, but not sure which will be best.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Acorn

Re: Blocking boards
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 17:10:12 PM »
 :laughing: I was about to say that you don't need to actually block any of our boards, you can just ignore them...
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 17:57:42 PM »
I've got a cheap set of interlocking children's foam play mats.  You need to check the thickness because many are very thin.  I think mine are 12 or 15ml (I can't measure them because they're currently packed away).   I use T pins.  Works for me and the blocking mat can be whatever size I want.
Life's too short for ironing.

Sheilago

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 18:24:49 PM »
I've got a cheap set of interlocking children's foam play mats.  You need to check the thickness because many are very thin.  I think mine are 12 or 15ml (I can't measure them because they're currently packed away).   I use T pins.  Works for me and the blocking mat can be whatever size I want.

I have these too, they’re very good and once you’re finished you can separate them and store them away easily in a pile. Easy to find on EBay.

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 21:27:24 PM »
I use kids floor mats too...

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 21:45:12 PM »
I have a thickish yoga mat, I have to weight the sides down but it’s very good for scarves etc.