The Sewing Place

fabric problems.

jmatt

fabric problems.
« on: February 26, 2021, 11:13:04 AM »
I need advice, i'm using Laura Ashley Whinfell fabric to make cusion covers, the problem i've got is that the fabric shreds i've thaught of using pinking shears but do'nt know which to get,i've also thaught of iron on tape,being a novice i hav'nt a clue, so before buying loads of ideas, whats all your advice, cheers  :facepalm:

Ohsewsimple

Re: fabric problems.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 11:37:16 AM »
Just a sewing machine?  Use the zig zag or triple zig zag stitch to edge it. 

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 11:39:17 AM »
Not sure if your query is about handling the fabric while you sew or to prevent the cushions deteriorating in use. If the latter, when I make cushions, I make them 1.5cm bigger than I want, trim the seam allowances slightly,  turn them to right side (you'll need to be careful pressing the seams open), then do a sort of french seam on the right side, 1.5cm in to enclose the raw edges.

If it's handling while you sew, you could fuse strips of lightweight interfacing around the edges. You could still use the method above. I wouldn't use pinking shears.

charley

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 21:32:27 PM »
I make my cushion covers in the method described by @Greybird. I end up with a faux piping finish. I really like this finish too, and then I found out how to do a lapped zip on cushion covers, so all good.

jmatt

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 13:35:25 PM »
Many thanks for all the input,all taken onboard. with my singer k99 i've been been having a hard time so my solution was a new brother a50 with the correct foot and stitch selection and now no more frayed edge's. thankyou all for the advice i certainly need it lol. :dance: