The Sewing Place

Table runner ideas

Sheilago

Table runner ideas
« on: February 28, 2021, 12:10:37 PM »
I have rescued my mother’s coffee table, while clearing out her house. It is dark wood (106 x 42 cm ) and as I plan to use it in a conservatory, I thought I’d protect it from sun ( and dogs, children etc) with a table runner. I thought maybe something with flying geese and wondered if anyone else had made such a thing. I had a quick look online, but couldn’t find many that inspired. Colours will be cream, terracotta, with maybe a bit of green.

Iminei

Re: Table runner ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 14:46:23 PM »
This is a lovely pattern and makes a lovely runner as Im sure @Acorn will attest ...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 16:43:54 PM »
It is gorgeous, and I am sitting looking at it as I type.   :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sheilago

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 18:05:32 PM »
That is beautiful @Iminei , but looks like paper pieced work, which I’m not too practiced at ( have only made a daffodil mug rug before) .. What is the pattern called?

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 18:59:35 PM »
@Sheilago I don't think that runner is paper pieced, I can see the seams.  It is lovely and the quilting really enhances the pattern  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Sheilago

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 19:11:34 PM »
Ah yes @Lilian , I see now how it’s done. Flying geese for the little flowers along the side.. Need to work out how many blocks/ flowers for the size of table. Think it would suit very well.

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 19:17:09 PM »
@Sheilago I am sure @Iminei will give you the help you need to make it  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 15:48:37 PM »
@Sheilago  ... Im hoping this link Flowerbed will work (its an adobe PDF)

If not I can print out a copy and send it up to you.

You can (apparently) FPP this but I cut a template (its a very simple template) and cut from that ... The borders were off-cuts ... or made up by me ... Its a really simple yet very effective design.

Album
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 16:00:42 PM by Iminei »

Sheilago

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 18:10:32 PM »
Great, I can see both links @Iminei . Thank you for sending them. I’ll let you see the result  :D

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 18:45:55 PM »
Please do Honey xxx

Sheilago

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 17:31:43 PM »
I made the first block this afternoon. Colours were chosen to go with terracotta tiles in my conservatory, though this photo makes the colours a little brighter than they really are. I have 2 other fabrics to use, to create a bit of variety in the flowers. I discovered that using self coloured fabric, I have to be really careful not to sew on the wrong side. I was quite confused at one point, until I realised that’s what I’d done and unpicked!  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 08:34:33 AM »
Easy isnt it ???

charley

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2021, 20:43:05 PM »
I love this, but is it easy to make? I am guessing that colour choice has a lot to do with final look too.

Sheilago

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2021, 22:54:29 PM »
I’ve made 2 blocks now and it is easy. You don’t even have points to match up, the way the flower centre joins up. I just printed out the template and then used it to cut out the pieces. It goes together very quickly. Colour choice is important, but it always is.

Sara-S

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2021, 09:49:21 AM »
That's some nice work. But if your goal is to protect it from sunlight, don't you need to cover the whole table, as you would with a tablecloth?
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.