The Sewing Place

Expression 2

Gernella

Expression 2
« on: March 09, 2021, 16:40:10 PM »
Yet another penny dropped today.  I was going through all the stitches today on some scrap fabric in preparation for selling.  The basting stitch has never worked for some reason.  Now I know why, when it says manually change the stitch length, you actually have to lift the leaver up and move the machine :laughing:    I was trying to alter the length on the panel.  Another didn't seem to work until I noticed that you had to manually press reverse leaver when you wanted to change distance.  Yet another one was going backwards, which it's supposed to do, if I'd looked properly on the screen.
There was a quilting stitch which just appeared like a normal stitch, I haven't fathomed that out yet, is it different when it gets on quilting fabric. :rolleyes: Who knows.

Went through the buttonholes and got a dodgy one, no thread in the bobbin, which it doesn't tell you, but tells you if you are not starting in the right place.  Second one didn't finish off and was a bit bent, which was probably me, I wasn't sitting straight on the chair and as I've never used this particular buttonhole before, it's either not working or didn't like the scrap of denim fabric with a funny finish (which brought my neck out in a rash).

Anyway the rest works fine, maybe just needs an expert in charge and not a plonker :laughing:
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Iminei

Re: Expression 2
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 08:39:04 AM »
There was a quilting stitch which just appeared like a normal stitch, I haven't fathomed that out yet, is it different when it gets on quilting fabric. :rolleyes: Who knows.

It could be the stitch length @Gernella .... my 'Quilting Stitches' on The Splurgess are automatically set at 1.80 (Whatever that means) and are really tiny which then enables you to cut through your stitches ... for instance when making a disappearing 9patch .... without your seam unravelling (?)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 09:58:51 AM »
Oh dear you have lost me @Iminei which of course is quite easy. I'm the same as with the latest machine, I just find out what I need to know and don't bother about the rest unless I need them.

The basting stitch though just cracked me up, I even sent it back because I thought it wasn't working.  "Manual" just slid under the gate and past me.  It didn't even click when the new one was just the same.

I still can't see why they would actually have a stitch that went backwards when you've also got a button that does the same thing.  There was another one like a repair stitch.  First one you could see was for a small repair, second one just carried on which I eventually sussed out you hit reverse depending on the length of the repair. :facepalm:
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

coffeeandcake

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 14:04:33 PM »
@Gernella The straight quilt stitch is supposed
to imitate a hand sewn quilt stitch. If you use clear thread in the needle and whichever colour you want on the top of the quilt in the bobbin, then tighten the upper tension, the machine stitches forward, backward, then forward again on each stitch and pulls the bobbin thread through to the top of the work.

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 14:40:34 PM »
That sounds about right.  I don't think my scrap of fabric was really conducive to showing something like that to its best effect @coffeeandcake

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 15:02:24 PM »
Thats not the straight stitch @coffeeandcake  ... thats a hand quilt stitch that is shown as  stitches with a large gap between the next group of stitch.

Stitches 48 - 51 on The Splurgess are hand quilt stiches.

video
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 15:14:57 PM »
Actually I think I did see one like that @Iminei

coffeeandcake

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 14:11:36 PM »
Yes, @Iminei, I had the wrong stitch in mind. I've just managed to sit at my machine for the first time in several weeks and can see the stitch that @Gernella is referring to I think. It shows on my Pfaff as a normal straight stitch but under the quilt stitches. It is indeed a regular straight stitch but does a neater tie-off at the beginning and end of the stitching than the no 1 straight stitch.

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 14:18:00 PM »
Ooh - now I think I ought to go and look for that on my Husqvarna.  Trouble is, I lose the will to live as soon as I start looking at all those stitch options...
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.