The Sewing Place

Pfaff Expression 710

Gernella

Pfaff Expression 710
« on: February 28, 2021, 15:12:49 PM »
I kept my hands off it yesterday or nothing would get done.  So today I had a mini clean up after the old one had been moved, got the brush out and swept that much 'dust' that it made me cough.  The bottom of my Purelight weights a ton, well 7kg, so I repositioned that before bringing the machine on. I'd brought it upstairs in two goes with an overnight 'rest' on the little landing.

I was going to finish off what I was  doing with the old machine, which looked a bit forlorn now sitting with no table on, but what's the point of that when you have shiny new although to be honest the old one still looks new, I take care of them.

Although I like  to read instructions first, unlike DH,  with sewing machines they all seem to follow the same format in threading.  Well I got as far as the top hook and could I heck as get it to come down the right side.  Got there in the end and then the bit of a shock, I just assumed it would still have a presser foot lever it doesn't.  So I carried on, I even threaded the needle,  which was a shock, I've only ever mastered the Pfaff Select one, that it does it first time.  Got my test fabric in and started, and got this little message about a low bobbin, well it would wouldn't, there wasn't one in.

I got the shout for coffee, which I normally make in an afternoon ,and left it sitting pretty.

I love the purple, I thought it might be too much but since I always sew with the lid up the white of that tones it down.  I think we are going to be very happy.

Anyway I've packed the box away with  all its packing ready for when I've had it too long, want to upgrade  and I need to sell it   :laughing:

Optimism is my middle name. :)
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Marniesews

Re: Pfaff Expression 710
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 18:18:36 PM »
Congratulations. Enjoy your new beast - size-wise if not in manners.  ;)

I didn't like being entirely without a presser foot lever on my Pfaff Performance 5 when trying to position particularly fiddly bits. In fact it caught my fingers a few times and it goes down with a fair bit of oomph! It took me a while to get around to using the knee lift but that rapidly became my first choice every time. I really love a knee lift now and was delighted to get 3 old Berninas with them too later.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 18:38:49 PM »
There’s nothing much to upgrade to @Gernella ... the 720 is basically the same. The performance Icon is next but that’s another £2000. I would have bought the 710 but purple isn’t my favourite colour. I do like the lighting on these machines, so much brighter than my old QE4.

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 19:48:29 PM »
I was thinking more of another Expression  @Efemera. We've had a few generations, now we've jumped to 710, 720.  It could be 710-2 - 720-2 or maybe into the 8's, the possibilities are endless really.  Could be voice operated, we just sit and give instructions :scream: 

Still it is very pretty, and it does a wonderful buttonhole <3 but totally wasted on me, although the last one was as well.

Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 11:11:53 AM »
It looks like a very beautiful machine @Gernella - love the purple - well, just love Pfaff generally.

Keep us updated, I would love to hear how you get on with her.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 11:49:43 AM »
It is an absolutely gorgeous machine @b15erk  and it is truly wasted on me, especially at my age, but you know what it is when you get a bee in your bonnet.  The first Janome 7000 I had was the same, but it is nice to have a bit of  class under your foot.  As far as DH is concerned it's just the same machine as the other but 'improved', one bonnet is the same as another one to him.  If he asks how much I'll give him the price I was going to pay for the Ambition  :laughing:

At least I shall come  down to earth in summer (assuming we have one),  when I have to work downstairs with the little Passport, although that is very nice to use and does the job I want.

annieeg

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 16:10:51 PM »
Lovely machine @Gernella and I'm sure you'll enjoy many, many happy hours of Pfaff sewing (long live IDT <3) 0_0

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 16:27:02 PM »
Enjoy your new machine @Gernella
Of course it isn’t wasted on you!

Sara-S

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 21:03:02 PM »
If there’s no lever, how do you raise or lower the presser foot?
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 21:43:43 PM »
If it's like my Husqvarna there's a button to press to raise or lower it, and if you start stitching with it up it will automatically lower it as well. 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lachica

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 23:24:41 PM »
@Sara-S the presser foot lowers when you start sewing & raises when you stop. There's a foot up/down button as well. My Pfaff is a different model to @Gernella but I think this is a standard feature.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 03:25:30 AM »
If there’s no lever, how do you raise or lower the presser foot?

Magic.:)
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Efemera

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 08:39:52 AM »
If there’s no lever, how do you raise or lower the presser foot?

There’s a button you can use or just tap the foot pedal.

Gernella

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 09:32:39 AM »
@Sara-S the presser foot lowers when you start sewing & raises when you stop. There's a foot up/down button as well. My Pfaff is a different model to @Gernella but I think this is a standard feature.

Actually @Lachica  that happened and I couldn't understand it.  I forgot to lower the foot started sewing, realised halfway through but couldn't understand how it was still sewing nicely.  I'd forgotten that little gem, until I read your comment, magic. <3

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 11:56:35 AM »
It’s a wonderful feature, so useful.  If I have to get out my old Pfaff I always forget and it’s such a nuisance to have to put the foot down.  :laughing: