The Sewing Place

"Let’s get Zippy - " March 1-31 2021

SewRuthieSews

« on: March 03, 2021, 17:00:11 PM »

Rules: Sew absolutely any item which has a zip in it - garments (full or toy sized), bags, accessories, and home furnishings all included.

Timeframe: Construction starts on 1st March and the item must be completed by 31st March
All entries need to be uploaded with the template and at least one photo by 6th April

Template: Please submit your entries in this thread using this template

Details to include:
Your User Name and Entry Number (if entering more than once )
What is it and for whom (if applicable)
Fabric and Pattern/instructions used (commercial or self-drafted, anything goes)
A short description on how you made it, any problems overcome etc.
Up to 4 photos (for example the starting point, fabric pattern, a progress shot and maybe 2 views of the finished article)
PLEASE INSERT PICTURES WITHIN YOUR TEXT!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 13:29:12 PM by Iminei »

SewRuthieSews

Re: "Let’s get Zippy - " March 1-31 2021
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 13:24:24 PM »
Anyone planning on participating in "Lets Get Zippy"?

Lilian

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 16:44:15 PM »
I am thinking about it, I have a box of 14" zips all different colours so this may prompt me  :ninja:
Willing but not always able :)

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 18:17:59 PM »
Not for me this time. I'm working on my 3 piece spring collection as well as  the 2 Darksider quiltalonga blockathons.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 19:04:11 PM »
I’ve got just the pattern!

Helen M

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 19:36:49 PM »
I'm waiting for a zip so haven't cut out yet!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

RJR_38

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 21:52:18 PM »
Well obviously this competition just calls out to me being a bag maker! Although I have made a few projects this month (all of which include zips) I decided to go for this bag as it has the biggest zip and was a new pattern for me.

Name: RJR_38 Entry No.1
What is it and who for: It is a 'bowler bag' No set use in mind but I like it so will probably keep it for me.

Pattern and  materials used: The pattern is by Blue Calla and requires a 36' zip. The bag is made from cotton, foam and distressed faux leather. I chose a No.5 nylon zip which I threaded on 2 simple zip pulls to make a double opening zip. I chose these style of pulls as you can also thread a padlock through them if you wanted to use it as an overnight bag. I also used my rivet press to ensure handles were securely attached.

Problems overcome: No major ones. Top stitching this was a little tricky in places as it really pushed my domestic machine to its limits (faux leather and foam combined). However, I managed it using a microtex needle, Teflon foot and reducing the pressure foot pressure to minimum while going very slowly!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 10:15:55 AM »
@RJR_38 wow that looks great! I've not made anything more complex than a shopping bag, so guess there is considerable skill involved.

I am planning to make a strangely shaped cushion for my friend's kitchen window seat. Its an old house with loads of great features and the window seat is not rectangular. However she's made me a basic template out of newspaper and popped it through my letterbox.
I am planning an inner which I'll make the right size/shape and sew closed by machine, then an outer with a zip closure.
its in a soft green colour so hoping the zip box has something vaguely suitable.

charley

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 19:47:52 PM »
Charley. Entry No 1.

What is it, and who is it for. It is a hoodie made for my littlest grand daughter's birthday, age group 3 - 4.

Pattern is from Burda magazine (borrowed from friend) 1/2020 easy for kids.
Fabric is some very colourful fleece given to me by a friend, the grey hood lining and band is left over from another project, I did not have any ribbing, and no time to wait for delivery either.
I choose a red 5 separating zip, 16 inch, this is first time I have used a separating zip, I had to shorten it by 1 and half inches.
No problems, other than the thickness of several layers of fleece in some areas. I used a purple tip needle with my Janome, and walking foot.
I only have the finished photo.

RJR_38

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2021, 20:12:56 PM »
@charley I love the bold fabric!

charley

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2021, 20:18:14 PM »
@charley I love the bold fabric!

Thank you, your bag is wonderful.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 09:31:19 AM »
@charley , that looks great!

I have just finished making the inner cushion for my friend's window seat, and its flipping huge. No zip on that I just hand sewed the gap shut.
Now to see how I am going to construct the cover, what zip I could use and whether I have enough fabric to pipe it, it least round the top edge.

Kad

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 12:11:11 PM »
Kad's entry

The Criss-cross shoulder bag from ' The Complete Bag Making Masterclass' by Samantha Hussey - for me (DD will not be getting this one )

Made from leftovers from various projects - pleather offcuts from DD Moto jacket last year.
- lining and front pockets from various quilt projects.
I did the strap a little differently to the pattern, in that I used black twill tape to back the strap, rather than it all being interfaced pleather - should be better wearing.
The pattern includes a zip bridge which splits the lining,
a zipped pocket with hidden zip tape - new to me method

And a zipped divider pocket
This book was a present from DD, she's had 2 bags from it already and I suspect she'd like one or two more 0_0
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 12:23:14 PM by Kad »
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Helen M

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2021, 12:46:04 PM »
No sign of my zip so it doesn't look like I'll get mine made. I haven't cut out in case it doesn't arrive as I can use fabric for something else.

Some lovely entries so far!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2021, 13:13:48 PM »
Wow @Kad, that looks great!

@Helen M All sounds very wise.

I've used a repurposed zip from the box of zips for my project, the window seat cushion cover is a sage green and the zip is off white, but I needed something really long to give me a fighting chance of getting the cushion insert in.
The zip is now in using what is apparently a version of the hidden zip tape method, but was more around how I could make it work with the seam allowances I had.

Piping strips next!