The Sewing Place

Hem finish on skirt - thick fabric

Sheeela_Shell

Hem finish on skirt - thick fabric
« on: March 04, 2021, 06:49:23 AM »
Hello!
I'm new here. And quite new to making my own clothes.

Question
How do I finish the hem on a skirt which is thick fabric without it sticking out or becoming stiff

More Information
I have not used a pattern; I was trying to make the most out of the fabric I had.
I have included a very rough sketch of how the fabric was cut and assembled.
 (I'll add the photos that didnt load properly to the comments)

I chose to finish the vertical seems by binding them in homemade cotton twill bias tape

I also tried to finish the hem with the same tape but its just making it stick out funny.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I hope this images have appeared correctly, thoigh I doubt it. It wont let me preview and some just seems off

Sheeela_Shell

Re: Hem finish on skirt - thick fabric
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 06:52:38 AM »
Rough sketch

Sheeela_Shell

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 06:53:50 AM »
Bias bound vertical seems

Sheeela_Shell

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 06:57:24 AM »
This is how the skirt looked before trimming the hem and "binding" it.
It had quite a nice swish considering the weight of the fabric.

Silver Rose

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 07:05:36 AM »
@Sheeela_Shell  I am not an expert but from what I can see you could get away with a really good press. You could have used the bias binding to make the hem by turning it up and hand finishing. I am sure someone will give you a better solution.
I like your fabric and well done for self drafting your skirt pattern.
Edit: @Sandra will help I am sure.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 07:10:09 AM by Silver Rose »
Still learning

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 07:39:06 AM »
The bottom edge appears to be hanging fine at the front where it is on the straight grain of the fabric.  The waviness is on the section where the hem line is on the bias.  That means that the bottom edge has much more stretch in that section.  Together with the stretchy bias tape it has ...... stretched.  If it is wool fabric you should be able to rescue it with steam  but the lower edge is inevitably going to be a bit less drapey because there are now more layers of fabric.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 08:05:26 AM »
Good economical use of fabric! As @Silver Rose says, the seams need a good press with plenty of steam. You've made a lovely neat job of covering the raw edges  but I think your tape is too thick & stiff. A Hong Kong finish on the seams would have been twice the work but with lightweight bias tape wouldn't have made the seams as stiff. The hem has lost its swish for the same reason. I can't see how you finished the hem. Generally, the thicker/heavier the fabric the deeper the hem. This allows the weight of the fabric to help the drape. I'd have turned it to the inside in one fold (at least 70mm) stitched a lightweight bias tape over the raw edge then slip stitched the hem up by hand. Or you could press the hem to the outside then machine lightweight bias tape over to give you the contrast band on the outside.Well done for making your own tape - did you weave it? If so it's only one thickness, but if you've made bias tape then the folds have made it too thick for swishing. You've chosen an ambitious project, in a challenging fabric, congratulations on your maths & design skills, I look forward to seeing your future projects.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Sandra

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 08:10:38 AM »
Hello. Welcome to the forum.
I'm not a dressmaker but I'm thinking that the binding on the hem is creating too much rigidity? It's a heavy fabric and the binding looks quite sturdy. The combination of the two is giving too much stiffness?

Maybe do away with the binding at the hem altogether and turn a hem up instead?

Ah... before posting I see Lachica's saying similar to me.  :thumbsup:

Sandra.
xxx

Efemera

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 08:38:09 AM »
I would use the blind hem.
As said before your iron is your best friend... press at every stage of construction... makes the difference between handmade and homemade.
https://oliverands.com/community/blog/2017/03/how-to-hem-everything-woven-fabrics.html

Greybird

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 08:44:39 AM »
My first thoughts were a good steam press too, worth a try before doing anything else and failing that, turning up the hem using the binding as Silver Rose says. I think I would machine the binding onto the bottom and turn up just the binding as a hem.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 09:14:12 AM »
That's lovely!

As others have said, try a steam press before anything else.

Personally, although a turned up hem is the traditional "correct" way, I love the bound hem.  If the steaming doesn't work, then could you try something lighter weight for the binding? 

I often use "wondertape", a double sided washaway tape, to stop edges cut on the cross from stretching out as I sew, it's great stuff.  It also doesn't often get washedaway before I wear something.

Sheeela_Shell

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 10:27:48 AM »
Wow, thanks everyone  :)

I shall try the steaming/ ironing.
On the photo on the dress-form, I had tried to fix the hem on one side (the side which has a nice wave... the other side tgats wonky is the original hem)

Below is a rough drawing of how I did the bias tape binding.

I already had the cotton/polycotton twill
I made the bias tape it after seeing a handy tutorial online. The fabric is quite stiff though so that might be adding to the rigidity as Sandra has pointed out.

I shall try to keep you updated of my "progress" haha

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 10:35:57 AM »
I think that the tape/binding is the problem.  Some commercial bias bindings have a lot of starchy stuff in them which washes out but when new makes it very stiff.

Either try to wash away the dressing in the binding and then apply it or finish the hem without binding.  A single layer will be less stiff than a double hem, so overlock or use a triple zig-zag close to the cut edge and then turn the hem up by hand, and give it a good press.  If the fabric frays badly you could apply a strip of lightweight fusible interfacing all around the lower edge before turning the hem.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lachica

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 10:37:12 AM »
If you Google 'Hong Kong finish' you'll see that bias tape encloses each side of your seams. Twice the work  :scream: but it allows the seam to be pressed open & lay flat. Your method for the hem is fine but your bias tape may be too thick & stiff for the skirt fabric. Staystitching the hem before applying tape would stop it from stretching.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Acorn

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 10:39:17 AM »
If all else fails you could always do the 'no hem' hem with the line of securing stitches from the article that @Efemera linked to!  It is a lovely skirt, and has a very nice drape apart from the hem.   :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.