The Sewing Place

Hem finish on skirt - thick fabric

Ohsewsimple

Re: Hem finish on skirt - thick fabric
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2021, 11:47:08 AM »
@Sheeela_Shell that is very adventurous for a newbie!   Well done !   
I’d agree about using a Hong  Kong finish on the seams next time if you want the edges bound.   Use a lightweight lining so there’s no bulk added. 

Efemera

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2021, 12:47:28 PM »
Or line the whole skirt and then you won’t need a seam finish... better still buy an overlocker! :thumbsup:

Catllar

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2021, 17:29:08 PM »
That's a great skirt. I agree with pressing totally. Makes such a difference. Also re the hem I think I'd use hem tape as the bias bound hem will be extra extra bulky as it crosses the already bound vertical seams unless you remove the binding from the vertical seams at the lower edge, of course.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Esme866

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2021, 05:50:27 AM »
Beautiful skirt and definitely ambitious and well executed.

Agree with everyone on Hong Kong finish next time.

As for overlocker/Serger - been sewing 50 years and still see no need. Overlockers are pricey things, I use a triple zigzag on casual wear and always a Hong kong finish on woolens or unlined jackets. French seems work well on some cottons and linens and such. I like to purchase 100% silk mens neckties at thrift stores for hong kong finishes - adds no bulk and they are already cut on the bias.

Under normal circumstances in the past, I would ALWAYS use rayon hem tape on such a skirt, but all I can purchase here in the states locally is a brand called Wrights. Where Wrights used to be excellent rayon quality in a wide color range, colors are now limited and the new stuff is a dreadful - TRULY DREADFUL - 100% polyester disaster that crackles while you are using it as it is so hard - good luck getting a needle thru it (I always hand hem) and the color can bleed easily. Never had polyester do such a thing.

So if I don't have some vintage hem tape, I use the recycled silk. We also have access to something called "Hugsnug", but I've yet to go this route.

PS: the old rayon hem tape was single layer and cut on straight grain. Machine stitched to upper edge of turned up hem and then slip stitched/ blind stitched by hand at the top. The weight transitioned the hem finish nicely into the garment.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2021, 17:11:47 PM »
Personally i love a frayed hem on wool fabric and would do a double line of small zig zag about 5cm from bottom and then fray the edge.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2021, 16:33:29 PM »
@Sheeela_Shell Wow! Love your skirt.
I'm definitely on 'team frayed hem' and if I were you I'd do as sewmuchmore suggested.

Really looking forward to seeing what else you make.  :)