The Sewing Place

Bag made with my own fabric

BlueCat

Bag made with my own fabric
« on: March 04, 2021, 12:56:22 PM »
As a bag maker, I like the totes made from Harris tweed, but never found tweed in the colours I liked. So I started to weave some random colours together (simple tabby weave with acrylic dk with an occasional sparkly wool) and ended up with my first piece of ‘fabric’ to try making a bag (have done plenty of scarves before).
Will attempt a twill with better wool (maybe even on a larger loom when time and money permits), but for now, quite happy with my first attempt
https://share.icloud.com/photos/09nnM0CWPb_ykQl5CFCmFVdHQ

Efemera

Re: Bag made with my own fabric
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 13:13:20 PM »
Fabulous... I’ve just started weaving, a 32” rigid heddle....it’s too big so I’m looking to buy a 16”.

BlueCat

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 13:24:10 PM »
Fabulous... I’ve just started weaving, a 32” rigid heddle....it’s too big so I’m looking to buy a 16”.
I find the 16” is a bit limiting (not ready to attempt double width on it yet) and will probably go for a 24”, either a table or floor loom. Love the Saori looms, but they are a bit expensive.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 14:13:12 PM »
Lovely!  Nice colours

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 14:18:42 PM »
@BlueCat that looks great, lovely colours.  I also want to be able to weave fabric that I can use, there are only so many scarves that a person can have but I get the impression that most weavers are non sewers.
Life's too short for ironing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 14:28:46 PM »
Wow fantastic @BlueCat . Who needs Harris tweed when you can weave like that!  <3
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 15:22:36 PM »
Lovely, the colours are super.

RJR_38

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 22:00:57 PM »
Wow that weaving looks so professional - I had no idea you could weave to that standard at home...

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 05:18:41 AM »
@BlueCat that looks great, lovely colours.  I also want to be able to weave fabric that I can use, there are only so many scarves that a person can have but I get the impression that most weavers are non sewers.

@Ploshkin most of the weavers I know sew. Mostly I knew them as Sewists before I discovered they were also weavers.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 08:43:25 AM »
That's interesting @Renegade Sewist , they must be people who hide their light under a bushel.  In my internet wanderings, looking for information on garment making with  handwoven cloth,  weavers appear to be universally terrified of taking scissors to their hand weaves and stick to scarves and tea towels.
Life's too short for ironing.

Celia

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 09:46:37 AM »
Yes I agree @Ploshkin most of the weavers I have come across can’t sew and are only interested in scarves etc.

@BlueCat i love your bag it is real the inspiration I need to get on with my weaving. I would love floor loom but don’t think that is going to happen

Any chance when you post something about weaving you can put weaving in the subject line I nearly missed this post and that would have been so sad

:loveit: :loveit:

BlueCat

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 12:29:57 PM »

Any chance when you post something about weaving you can put weaving in the subject line I nearly missed this post and that would have been so sad

:loveit: :loveit:

Will do. Thank you everyone for your kind remarks.