The Sewing Place

Russian Burdastyle pdfs

Sewcycle

Russian Burdastyle pdfs
« on: March 07, 2021, 09:52:08 AM »
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me with this. I’ve looked at the site a couple of times, and the kids pdf patterns are a very good price and often discounted. Has anyone else had experience of downloading patterns from this site. I know it’s Burdastyle but at the same time it’s a Russian site. Apart from using Google translate on my phone camera, I can’t really work out what I’m doing. Is it a safe site? Is it difficult to print out etc. Any advice would be gratefully received.
'Is there a life before breakfast'

b15erk

Re: Russian Burdastyle pdfs
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 12:41:02 PM »
@Sewcycle , I haven't used the Russian site, and I think you are right to be cautious.

I have used Burdastyle UK version though, with absolutely no problem.  I don't think they are that cheap, but you can print them off in different sizes, time and again.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

dolcevita

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 18:18:43 PM »
I look at the Russian Burdastyle website a lot as they are always first with the new issues and those Russian ladies don't hang around in sewing up the new designs, either. I can't speak for downloading them, though, but have used Lekala a lot and that's another Russian site.

Have you considered Ottobre Design who do specific children's issues of their magazine? They get rave reviews for their kids stuff.

Sewcycle

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 20:48:49 PM »
Thanks @b15erk - yes I am still being cautious but it is a Burda website. I don’t normally download pdfs as I find them a bit of a faff and I could, at a pinch, work these out on my paper patterns as they are pretty basic. I have a paper pattern for pretty much any standard design. Thanks for the help - I’m still to decide. ;)

Sewcycle

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 20:53:38 PM »
@dolcevita. Thanks for the insight. I seem to see many more interesting patterns on the Russian Burda site. Mind you, I find the UK one terribly difficult to negotiate. Can’t find anything on there and the search facility is a bit poor. I preferred th old version of the site - it was much more fun( or was that the US version - with everyone’s reviews etc.) I like the Lekala site too but as I said I’m not fond of pdfs. Only maybe for a child sized pattern  0_0

dolcevita

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 21:22:20 PM »
Have you tried the original German Burdastyle site? At least the alphabet is mostly the same and it's easier to follow. FWIW, I find the UK site to be absolutely rubbish and wouldn't touch it with a bargepole - I'd rather take my chances with the Russians!

This is the German site:
German burdastyle site

From there, if you go to 'Community' and then Nutzer-Kreationen, that's their photo forum of what their members have made. It's useful (as is the Russian photoforum) as most of the users there aren't found on the likes of Pattern Review.

I hate pdf form as well, but I'm quite happy to trace. Here's the latest Ottobre Kids magazine designs; you can order back issues, too. Sadly, the latest Ottobre Woman is full of garments masquerading as potato sacks, so don't bother with that one!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Sewcycle

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 08:40:45 AM »
@dolcevita I know what you mean about the potato sacks. I quite like asymmetrical garments and have quite a lot of the Tilton patterns which I usually modify to be a bit less outrageous. However they fit! They have darts and fitting lines, but recently patterns seem to have a large proportion of sacks with no darts and nothing much to recommend them. I’m thinking of Simplicity here!

No I haven’t tried the German one. I might give it a go and there’s a French one too isn’t there. I’ve more of a chance of understanding the instructions there. I thought these had probably gone the way of our site- difficult to use and entirely uninspiring. I often just try to find the date of the pattern and buy a back copy of the magazine on eBay as I don’t mind tracing quite so much....not sure why it’s better than pdfs but I prefer it. Thanks for the input. :)

Clareew

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 20:00:49 PM »
I have bought and downloaded from the Russian site without any problem.  They are so much cheaper than the other countries especially since the prices have risen.

Sewcycle

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 07:43:57 AM »
Thanks @Clareew  - that’s really useful to know. For kids patterns, it would be a useful site for me. Children grow so quickly and some things I’m not going to want to make more than once.