The Sewing Place

Is it too much

Diane

Is it too much
« on: May 28, 2017, 18:47:58 PM »
Well I promised to pop over to the dark side so here I am. Managed to find a picture of the patchwork that I started, need to find the actual bag of stuff itself. I was looking at doing some type of autumnal looking quilt, do you think it's a bit too much? Should I add in some plainer squares? I can't help thinking that maybe I should do alternate plain with pattern, new to this so looking for some advice from the experts. This is all I've done so I can unpick if needed.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 18:49:50 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Vegegrow

Re: Is it too much
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 18:55:52 PM »
Love the autumn colours... I think you need to find the bag ' of stuff' (I have a lot of these!!) and decide on what you are making  How much fabric have you got?.. you have a lot of patterns in the pic but you may need that fabric to be spread over a big area
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 18:58:59 PM by Vegegrow »
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Diane

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 18:58:27 PM »
Love the autumn colours... I think you need to find the bag ' of stuff' (

I think your right  :'( it's in the new sewing room somewhere, will have a dig. I think I need to be a bit more adventurous with the quilt so when I find it I'm going to unpick and start again. Need to add some different shapes in to make it more interesting.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Diane

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 19:13:45 PM »
Found it  :)
I also have some long 2" wide strips that I'd forgotten I had. The ones I've sewn together already I could use as a border? Need to Google and try and come up with some sort of pattern as I've no idea what I'm doing. I will need to buy some more shapes but need to decide what I'm doing first.

Diane

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 19:33:23 PM »
Now that I'm looking at it, I think all together it looks too heavy, I've probably got enough squares to make enough for a border but I'll measure it out tomorrow just to make sure. Need to add in some slightly lighter colours as well.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 19:36:37 PM »
How big are these squares Diane ?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Diane

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 19:43:31 PM »
How big are these squares Diane ?

They are 4" squares and the strips are 2" wide not sure how long.

Do you start from the middle of the intended quilt and work outwards?

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 19:45:34 PM »
4" x 2" ????

Have you heard of Craftsy ???

Diane

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 19:49:13 PM »
4" x 2" ????

Have you heard of Craftsy ???

Oh no, I have lots of 4"x4" squares and also some 2"x 40" strips
Not heard of Craftsy?

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 19:55:03 PM »
https://www.craftsy.com/quilting

They have an excellent FREE Block of the Month class 2012

Where they start you off very gently, growing in skill and difficulty as you go along

I would, personally, put your squares to one side for the moment ...
they may well come in useful later as you yourself progress along the Dark path.

Diane

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 20:01:36 PM »
https://www.craftsy.com/quilting

They have an excellent FREE Block of the Month class 2012

Where they start you off very gently, growing in skill and difficulty as you go along

I would, personally, put your squares to one side for the moment ...
they may well come in useful later as you yourself progress along the Dark path.

Thanks I'll take a look. Be just downloaded it, cheers for the info
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 20:08:51 PM by Diane »

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 20:07:33 PM »

And there is of course the TSP BOM ... but ...

I would also suggest you try the Mysteryquiltalongathon (in the sewalong section) as the blocks are super easy and you will get a lot of bang for your buck at the end!

Please ask if in doubt over anything...
We want you to get it right!

Diane

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 20:42:55 PM »
Oh my gosh I'm hooked, just been watching some of the free blocks and how inspiring, it all makes sense now.
I apparently was already registered with craftsy so I must have been on there at some point, long ago.
It's certainly opened my eyes and I won't be doing just simple squares, just ordered a 12.5" square template and a Dresden template plus small rotary cutter to get me on my way.
Thanks again for the craftsy link
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 21:45:29 PM by Diane »

Lantana

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 22:39:15 PM »
Hi Diane so pleased you took Lowena and my encouragement and visited our corner of TSP! 

There are just so many different directions you can take the hobby. Block piecing and more freer ways of joining odd shapes and then there is applique.   On the other hand you could spend a lifetime just exploring the many possibilities of the triangle!

Iminei is right practising sewing accurate seams to get those blocks done will stand you in good stead whatever directiion you decide to go eventually. Don't get too disheartened if things don't go right at first either ...we all continue to make mistakes.  ;)

I can see you've already got a good eye for fabrics ... that's a fabulous collection you've got there already a good base to start from.

Lanty  :vintage:

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 08:47:22 AM »
Craftsy also had a FREE class called Piece, Patch, Quilt Basic Quilt making skills
which introduces you to basic, but vital techniques such as how to use your RC  safely, cutting straight lines, prepping fabric etc

I don't know if its still around as I already have it, it doesnt show in the classes available list, but you could do no better than start with that one, then onto BOM 2012...

and if you want to join in the fun in the Darkside Diane
 ...... :devil: ......
You must

POST PICS
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 08:49:05 AM by Iminei »