The Sewing Place

Is it too much

rubywishes

Re: Is it too much
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 09:21:59 AM »
Hi Dianne, welcome to the Dark Side...mwahhahahaha!
Can't agree more with the advice given to you so far....spend some goodly amount of time practising getting that 1/4" seam right, It will serve you in good stead down the track believe me   0_0! Take your time, and don't buy too many gadgets straight away...they can all be very tempting but not necessarily vital, particularly in the early days. It is paramount that you get yourself a good quality cutting mat and one that is easy for you to move around on your table. The first mat I bought was a monster, thinking it would be perfect but in truth, it's a cumbersome pain in the butt and more often than not, these days I prefer to use my 22" x 16".
And be careful of those blades in your rotary cutter!!!! Watch some you-tubes or classes on how to use one correctly and safely. And lastly...have fun..and have fun with the forum!
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lowena

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 10:13:27 AM »
I'd use the squares as practice squares to get you sewing your 1/4" seams accurately. Then join the strips to them to get used to joining a different width / length accurately.
I tried 2012 Craftsy BOM when I began and it nearly put me off for life  :'( I found the blocks complicated and I couldn't get the hang of them at all  :'( so don't put all your eggs in one basket  ;)
Practise squares and half square triangles  and strips and you'll have the basis of hundreds of quilts.
You start the quilting from the centre outwards, but with piecing you make the blocks and then join them either in rows or larger blocks until you get the pattern you've planned  :)
Lovely to see you here btw, glad Lanty and I were good ambassadors  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Diane

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 10:52:22 AM »
Fabulous advice ladies, so glad I found this forum :D
I've been up since 5am watching all the tutorials on craftsy that you recommended, absolutely loved it and I think I've found my mojo again for sewing.
I'm a big believer in accuracy as I'm an engineer by trade so this should put me in good stead for getting it right.
I certainly don't need any more gadgets as I have tons that I found when I moved in to my sewing room, I did order a couple of templates that I didn't have but apart from that I'm well geared up. 
I've lots of fabric as I just can't help myself, it's an addiction.
I have a decent cutting mat that I soaked in the bath yesterday to recondition it and it's come up a treat, I think it's the 22x16 so nice and easy to move around.
After spending hours watching the craftsy tutorials I'm going to go down the block method, would love to do a quilt for my kingsize bed. I'll just take it one block at a time.
How do you manage to sew a large quilt on a sewing machine? Especially kingsize, I bet it's difficult manoeuvrings that around the needle.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Iminei

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2017, 11:00:29 AM »
How do you manage to sew a large quilt on a sewing machine? Especially kingsize, I bet it's difficult manoeuvrings that around the needle.

Open the link below in a new tab and continue reading....

:devil:

https://youtu.be/fRamB30E9mU

Well my dear, let me take you by the hand and guide you to the Real Dark Side of P&Q

..... Q A Y G .....

« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 11:02:41 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Diane

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2017, 11:18:04 AM »

Open the link below in a new tab and continue reading....

:devil:

https://youtu.be/fRamB30E9mU

Well my dear, let me take you by the hand and guide you to the Real Dark Side of P&Q

..... Q A Y G .....

Love it , Love it, your very wicked 0_0
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

BrendaP

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2017, 11:28:28 AM »
You have had lots of excellent advice already

They are 4" squares and the strips are 2" wide not sure how long.
4" squares and 2" strips don't fit together nicely.  The seam allowances mean that loose 1/4" on each side, so the 4" squares end up as 3.5" finished and the strips will be 1.5" wide when finished.

Do you start from the middle of the intended quilt and work outwards?
Most quilts are made in blocks, which are usually square, and then the blocks are joined together.  That keeps it all much more manageable in the earlier stages.

As you will probably have realised Iminei is a big fan of quilt as you go and does everything that way - and her results are excellent.  Others prefer to quilt the whole thing in one go.  As with most things it's a case of trying both methods and deciding which suits you, but I would advise not making your first project too big!

Your colours are lovely.  The success of a piece of patchwork depends a lot on having a good mix of lights and darks as much as on the actual colours.

For a first project stick with squares and rectangles.  The inevitable bias seams you get once you start cutting triangles adds a whole new set of challenges.

Nine Patch and charm quilt use only squares and sashing strips and borders.  This website has instructions for several other designs which only use squares and rectangles
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Diane

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2017, 11:37:46 AM »
Thanks BrendaP

So much advice on here, it's amazing. I'm just going to take it slow and steady and see how I go.

Lowena

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2017, 11:38:59 AM »
You're right of course Brenda, I just meant using them for practice - joining a block to a strip, not with any purpose in mind. When I try something newI then throw the practice bits away and I forgot that others might actually want their work to be useful  :|
Quilt as you go is very fiddly in my opinion, but as someone who is precise you would probably take to it better.I do mainly hand quilting - big stitch with perle cotton.
You  can quilt large items on a domestic sewing machine, you roll from each side and start from the centre outwards ( not explaining this well, there are tutorials online )
get playing, and good luck  :ninja:

maliw

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2017, 12:05:52 PM »
Hehehehehehe, another recruit and already hooked, well done ladies  :devil: Seriously Diane , this is a great place to be, have fun and remember there are NO quilting police.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Ploshkin

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2017, 12:14:11 PM »
Big quilts can be made up in sections (half, quarters) which are then quilted before being joined or the middle bit can be quilted and then the borders added qayg i.e. stitched on through all the layers.
You're probably all Craftsyed out at the moment but one of the videos is quilting large quilts on a small machine - I'm sure there will be stuff on You Tube too.
Life's too short for ironing.

Diane

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2017, 13:34:32 PM »
You lot have definitely drawn me in to the dark side  :ninja: got me hook line and sinker. Who needs to make clothes when there's patchwork and quilting to do  :flower:

Diane

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2017, 13:40:15 PM »
Here's the sewing machine I have, seems to do a pretty good job.

Lowena

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2017, 17:42:15 PM »
It certainly seems to have all the necessary accoutrements   :sew:
So glad you have come over to The Dark Side It's like Hotel California........."You can check out any time...but you can never leave"  :devil: :ninja:

Iminei

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2017, 17:45:12 PM »
Iminei is a big fan of quilt as you go and does everything that way

Ahem!!!!  :o I quilted the Opus all in one and that was 79" sq !!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Diane

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2017, 18:47:59 PM »
Iminei is a big fan of quilt as you go and does everything that way

Ahem!!!!  :o I quilted the Opus all in one and that was 79" sq !!

Gosh  :| this gives me hope. Going to start off with something smaller and then progress to the kingsize quilt.