The Sewing Place

Is it too much

Lantana

Re: Is it too much
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2017, 18:48:23 PM »
You lot have definitely drawn me in to the dark side  :ninja: got me hook line and sinker. Who needs to make clothes when there's patchwork and quilting to do  :flower:

Not only have you good choice in sewing activities but you have a nice  :woof: as your avatar. Is s/he a member of your familly?

I have a feeling that once you get going you'll be whizzing along and find time for clothes as well.  :)  'sides you can make clothes from patchwork just look at Brenda's lovely jacket! I've got a couple of books by Judy Murrah on how to make patchwork jackets. As yet haven't tried any of them (waiting to lose weight!) but one of these days.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jacket-Jazz-Patchwork-Techniques-Templates/dp/1564770214/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jacket-Jazz-Encore-Patchwork-Techniques/dp/1564770699

:vintage:

ps Buying P and Q books can be almost as compulsive as buying fabric!  :devil:

Diane

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2017, 19:14:40 PM »
That's Oscar my dear Yorkshire terrier who I lost at the age of 16, must be 5 years ago now, miss him like mad, was never ill all through his life bless him  :'(

Books, Mmm I love fabric more than books but I do have a few quilting ones, I occasionally flick through just for ideas.
I give in with clothes, nothing ever fits, or more like I don't fit the clothes, could do with losing a few pounds/stones myself. Hoping when I get started with the sewing I'll forget to stop to eat, here's hoping.

Decided I'm going to start off with a lovely table runner in autumnal colours, downloaded a pattern from Craftsy.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 19:26:26 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Lantana

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2017, 19:29:23 PM »
That's Oscar my dear Yorkshire terrier who I lost at the age of 16, must be 5 years ago now, miss him like mad, was never ill all through his life bless him  :'(

Awwwww it's so hard when they leave us isn't it? I bet he had a really good life with you and 16 is a good age. I still miss my cairn terrier Archie and it's coming up for 9 years now. I look after my sons elderly Springer from time to time (she's here with me now sitting at my feet) and sometimes I call her 'Archie'....oooops.

Before I retired I  worked in a library and so I've been programmed to acquire books  :devil:

Looks like you've found a great first project. Looking forward to seeing the results!

L :vintage:

Diane

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2017, 19:39:21 PM »
I cried for weeks when I lost him, had him at six weeks and he never left my side, I'd love another dog but just fear the heart break when you lose them. Love having a dog around, just makes you feel good.

I'd love to retire, I'm 51 this year and would love to get made redundant, I'd then just look for something part time and have more time for sewing.

Love the table runner, a good size for me to start off with, I have all my 5" autumnal squares, although the pattern states 4 5/8" squares, seems a strange size to me so I'll have to cut my squares down. Just need to get some lighter fabric for the background, will have to visit the fabric shop next weekend, oh well needs must.

I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

maliw

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2017, 20:03:57 PM »
Just need to get some lighter fabric for the background, will have to visit the fabric shop next weekend, oh well needs must.
Oh how sad !!!!!!!! bet you don't just buy that, well not if you're anything like a lot of us here. 0_0
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Diane

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2017, 20:07:09 PM »
Oh how sad !!!!!!!! bet you don't just buy that, well not if you're anything like a lot of us here. 0_0

Your right, I'll probably come back with a bag of stuff and then try and smuggle it in to the house without hubby seeing :devil:
It's a job to find fabric shops these days which is sad as we really need more. I do buy online but prefer to feel the fabric before buying.

Iminei

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2017, 07:47:48 AM »
I have all my 5" autumnal squares, although the pattern states 4 5/8" squares, seems a strange size to me so I'll have to cut my squares down.

S T O P !!!!!

Do NOT cut your squares down!

Square up your triangles, after you have made all of them,

either to the size the pattern states they should be (Unfinished size = + 1/2" of Finished size)

.... OR .... to the size of your smallest geese, making all the geese the same size.

This is where a 6" or  6 1/2" sq ruler comes invaluable.
They usually have various angles (45, 60 and 30 degree) marked on them
and you can line up against this to square up correctly.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Diane

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2017, 08:24:33 AM »
I have all my 5" autumnal squares, although the pattern states 4 5/8" squares, seems a strange size to me so I'll have to cut my squares down.

S T O P !!!!!

Do NOT cut your squares down!

Square up your triangles, after you have made all of them,

either to the size the pattern states they should be (Unfinished size = + 1/2" of Finished size)

.... OR .... to the size of your smallest geese, making all the geese the same size.

This is where a 6" or  6 1/2" sq ruler comes invaluable.
They usually have various angles (45, 60 and 30 degree) marked on them
and you can line up against this to square up correctly.

Thanks for the heads up, haven't touched them yet. I need to print the pattern off and read it properly. If I get stuck I'll be shouting for help. I think I have a 6" square ruler, will check later as I'm at work unfortunately.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 08:26:18 AM by Diane »

BrendaP

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2017, 09:26:37 AM »
You are going to get two triangles from each square.
You will also be cutting a lot of smaller white/background triangles.
Then you will sew two small triangles to each larger triangle to make rectangles.
Once you have the rectangles assembled, that is the time to trim them to size.

The instructions say that the blocks are 1.5" x 3" finished which means that you will trim them down to 2" x 3.5".  When you do that make sure the point where all three triangles meet is 1/4" from the cut, then measure for the other side from there.  When you sew the blocks together the points will come exactly on the seam line. :)
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Diane

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2017, 09:36:06 AM »
Thanks, I think with all your help on here it will make sense once I actually start putting them together.

Lowena

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2017, 09:58:31 AM »
Imi and Brenda got there before me... but... I spluttered my coffee all over the desk ( not the keyboard fortunately  :D ) as I read your post about square sizes. Always square / size up later.
It looks a good project, good luck  :flower:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Diane

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2017, 10:03:57 AM »
Imi and Brenda got there before me... but... I spluttered my coffee all over the desk ( not the keyboard fortunately  :D ) as I read your post about square sizes. Always square / size up later.
It looks a good project, good luck  :flower:

Thanks, so I gather I cut my 5" squares in to triangles, assembly then trim to size.

rubywishes

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2017, 12:08:34 PM »
Diane, I've quilted quilts of 90" x 90" on my domestic machine so it can be done believe me. Craftsy has a "one class only" sale at the moment of one class for $19.99 (US) and there are 3 different classes on just this subject....how to quilt a large quilt on a domestic machine. Hurry though as I think the sale runs out in a day...31/5/2017.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Diane

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2017, 13:04:50 PM »
I have had a look but can't see the "one class only" lesson? Not sure if I'm looking in the right place

Snowgoose

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2017, 13:41:20 PM »
Diane, if you add a class to your basket and add the code 'MAKEIT' to your checkout page that should give you a class for £14.34!