The Sewing Place

Snap adapters

b15erk

Snap adapters
« on: March 09, 2021, 10:29:09 AM »
I've been helping a friend out lately with her Prym Snap Fastener kit - her OH bought her the big set, and she wasn't sure which ones were which.

While I've been doing this, I found a lot of snaps which I had bought in error, and they don't fit either the 8mm or 10mm adapters that are the only ones that Prym does.  It seems these snaps are measuring up at approx 9mm and Prym don't supply a 9mm adapter.

Is there a way that I can use these snaps?  Maybe using another method?

Not sure how else to attach these snaps as I've always used Prym metal snaps.  Is there another tool which would work?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Morgan

Re: Snap adapters
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 09:02:15 AM »
How about trying one with the 10mm adapter.

For my rivet press dies, I can use a size for the corresponding side of double cap rivet and the size below.  I just take a little extra care to centre the smaller rivet caps.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 11:39:05 AM »
@Morgan , thank you for the reply.  I have tried the 10mm ones, but they don't line up properly, and I waste so many...

I've ordered a very cheap plier, with a flexible adapter which I'm hoping will do the job...

The snaps in question were bought before I started using Prym, and when I've checked on Amazon they are 9.5mm.  I just need to use them up, and afterwards, I'll carry on with the Prym ones.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Esme866

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 05:41:58 AM »
@b15erk. Not sure what type of snaps you are dealing with, but waaaaay back in the day (60's & early 70's) no one I knew had any special tool for applying snaps - just an old empty small wooden thread spool and a hammer. Those wooden thread spools were of course easy to come by back then. I haven't looked yet, but I'd be surprised if there aren't several YouTube videos regarding alternatives for snap applications.

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 10:53:29 AM »
@Esme866 , I  think I'm a bit of a wuss regarding snaps.  I just haven't been able to get my head round installing them at all, until I first bought Kam Snaps a few years ago - they were a revelation, and I used them a lot.

When I found the Prym tool, I was delighted because it made installing metal snaps really easy - and it isn't too hard on the wrists either.

I did buy the metal 'hammer' kit, but I just find it too complicated for my brain cell.  I've watched YouTube videos, read tutorials, experimented, but I've never been happy with the results.

Jessie

Esme866

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 10:00:47 AM »
@b15erk I guess I've never used snaps enough to even feel the need to invest in a Prym tool. It's been decades since I did a snap front shirt.

They do make heavy duty snap installers that can accommodate different snap sizes - depending on what you buy. They are pricey little puppies, but if you use that many snaps, it may be worthwhile to look into.

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 10:12:06 AM »
@Esme866 , I don't use a great many snaps, but I have started to replace the button/buttonholes on my shirts, especially since I've found that I can buy Nickel free snaps.

I have seen the large presses, and have thought about investing, but space is an issue, plus, you still have to buy the adapters to fit various types and sizes of snaps.

Jessie