The Sewing Place

Summer dresses - share what you make/made

Manuela

Summer dresses - share what you make/made
« on: May 29, 2017, 01:58:08 AM »
I decided that I got bored with my sheath dresses, and explore more semi-fitted dress options for Summer (or the very long hot and humid season in Hong Kong). In my new job (since January) I can dress a lot more casual, our school doesn't have a dress code  :devil:
Being short waisted, I don't like waist seams or belts. One of my favourtite dresses is a novelty denim shirt dress, where I used the sleeves as a low slung belt, sewn into the side seam.
I used Vogue 8772, a blouse pattern, for some shirt dresses previously and went further with it to create more styles with it using collars and necklines I liked from other patterns. One dress I posted in Fran's thread already, here is number 2.

Emma2109

Re: Summer dresses - share what you make/made
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 07:51:19 AM »
That's lovely Manuela....I really like the shape and love the patches...xxx

Addict

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 09:51:42 AM »
My new dress made with my Sure fit dress kit .the beauty of sure fit is you do not have to do FBA

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 09:57:30 AM »
I can't wear dresses or skirts as my legs are too awful to inflict on others  :| but I do like to see what you all make  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

dolcevita

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 11:33:07 AM »
I'd like to make a couple of smart/casual summer dresses - I have mostly sheath dresses or smart ones, not much in the way of everyday ones.  I saw a really nice armani one a while ago that I'd like to do an interpretation of.  Need to finish my jacket first, though.

One of the trickiest things I find with dresses is deciding on footwear to go with it.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 12:49:52 PM »
Today I'm wearing Simplicity 1459.

100% cotton from 3 or 4 years ago, it's cut on the cross grain because of the print.  Some of the offcuts have found their way into a couple of P&Q projects
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 12:54:25 PM »
I can't wear dresses or skirts as my legs are too awful to inflict on others  :| but I do like to see what you all make  :)

No such thing as can't.... life's too short, if you want to wear a dress then wear it...I've got horrendous knees, they seem to balloon  out above the knee joint... but I can't do anything about it... I f folks don't like them then they shouldn't look!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 13:37:03 PM »
What's a "dress"?  I can't remember!  Shorts or 3/4s for me in the summer, and if folks don't like my very fat legs - tough!!  0_0

Oh, and my "spare tyre" (which must be a tractor tyre!) makes wearing a dress almost impossible.

Surest1tch

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 14:42:08 PM »
That's brilliant, I'll bet you look incredibly smart in it.

Manuela

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 15:08:51 PM »
Addict, great dress, look fabulous on.

Brenda P, oooooh, what a beautiful dress, I'm a sucker for border prints and just love pink (although I prefer wearing blues since I decided not to dye my hair anymore and go grey - my original hair colour was jet black).

I am convinced that there is a dress shape for everyone, one just has to find it. As Efemera said, there is no such thing as can't, if someone doesn't like my legs, they can look elsewhere. I like them (at times), Mr Manuela likes them, that's all that counts...  ;)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 15:43:12 PM by Manuela »

Manuela

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 15:17:45 PM »
I'd like to make a couple of smart/casual summer dresses - I have mostly sheath dresses or smart ones, not much in the way of everyday ones. 
That's where I started out, with a closet full of fitted sheath dresses, suitable to my former life in the corporate world. I still like them, as a back drop to my somewhat elaborate 'overs' (sleeveless coats, dramatic vests, capes, etc.), but working in a school I need something more comfortable. I love wearing dresses, so I started exploring shirt dresses - and love the look. Next up are semi fitted shift dresses with hem/collar/play with print details.
I'm also an the mission to make dresses that go with my all-time favourite shoes, so currently I play with black and white stripes and pocket watch buttons  :D

Lyn-J

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 15:22:04 PM »
Manuela, fantastic use of the fabric, how do you manage to find all the wonderful materials you use.

Addict, love the print and the dress fits you very well!

Benda, a very colourful dress, with an up-to-date vintage look.

There should be a summer casuals thread for those not wearing dresses (there's no escape - we want to see you in your short shorts  :devil: )

Manuela

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 15:56:41 PM »
Lyn-J, I buy fabrics locally, as well as from Marcy Tilton's site Linton Tweeds and EmmaOneSock (love her use of Pantone numbers). I'm extremely picky when it comes to fabrics and stick to a certain colour scheme that suits me (clear cool). Living in Hong Kong, wearing cottons is most comfortable - I don't like crumpled/winkled look of linen on me, I'm afraid deep down I'm still very much a tailor.
My favourite fabrics are novelty denims and chunky laces, love the look of a lace dress worn with a denim jacket or vice versa

Catllar

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 16:07:46 PM »
You've all shown some lovely work here - Manuela your fabrics are to die for, Addict - yours is gorgeous and you've nailed the fit and brenda that  print is lovely.

I like the idea of dresses, but always seem to make 2 types - very fitted princess styles ( can't walk away from the flamenco vibe) or very fitted sheath dresses ( can you see a theme here?)  I've tried dresses with full skirts and waist seams but they a) never sit on the right place ( where is my waist, being a  rectangle?) or are too bunchy. High waists just make me look pregnant. I live in a windy part of the country so wraps don't feel safe, and shirt dresses make me feel my age. Don't know what else to try, but keep trying I shall!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Manuela

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 16:13:38 PM »
Catllar, try semi fitted shift dresses, and shirt dresses with shirt tails or other hem variations. I hear you on the rut of fitted sheaths, and not liking waist seams - that's me in a nutshell.