The Sewing Place

Summer dresses - share what you make/made

Manuela

Re: Summer dresses - share what you make/made
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 16:22:35 PM »
PS: I made this last year, and it has become one of my all-time favourite dresses  ;)

Lowena

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 17:32:26 PM »
Lovely dress Brenda.
Both my husband and my best friend have confirmed that my legs should never see the light of day  :D I'm afraid I care very much what other people ( even strangers ) might say or think  :| My legs are shapeless and I have cankles  :| Apart from full length dresses ( which I find ageing ) no style or length of dress is suitable.
When I was younger ( and had good legs ) I used to  prefer dresses to separates and I'm really envious when I see all the great dresses there are in the shops  :(
Triumph of hope over experience :D

DementedFairy

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 19:26:32 PM »
PS: I made this last year, and it has become one of my all-time favourite dresses  ;)

I LOVE IT
C'est moi!

DementedFairy

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2017, 19:28:56 PM »
Lovely dress Brenda.
Both my husband and my best friend have confirmed that my legs should never see the light of day  :D I'm afraid I care very much what other people ( even strangers ) might say or think  :| My legs are shapeless and I have cankles  :| Apart from full length dresses ( which I find ageing ) no style or length of dress is suitable.
When I was younger ( and had good legs ) I used to  prefer dresses to separates and I'm really envious when I see all the great dresses there are in the shops  :(

Personally, after kicking husband and friend firmly in the undercarriage, I would be wearing dresses at all times, and possibly doing a can-can [cankle-can?]  :devil:

Seriously though, if you want to wear dresses, there is a style for you that isn't aging.  Have you looked at the modern versions of ethnic styles, like ao-dai, anarkali, salwar kameez etc?  Long dresses/tunics over trousers or leggings of various types in other words.  Legs hidden, but plenty of swirl and niceness
C'est moi!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2017, 19:43:43 PM »
Lovely dress Brenda.
But who's to say what is "good legs"?  Why should we be expected to conform to a particular shape/size?  I still wear much the same stuff that I wore when I was about 5 sizes smaller, if it's comfy and suits my lifestyle/activities, then that's what matters to me.  I know I said I don't wear dresses, but then I never have done.
We should be able to wear what we want, there's no right or wrong size or shape  0_0

BrendaP

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2017, 21:44:36 PM »

I am convinced that there is a dress shape for everyone, one just has to find it.

For me it's fit and flare or the full skirted '50s styles.  Straighter styles, shift dresses or whatever just emphasise a big tummy.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2017, 21:57:43 PM »
Same here, Brenda.  I've finally accepted that shift dresses - which I like very much - are never going to look good on me.  Even one seems OK when trying it on, when sitting down your body rearranges itself and everything can go horribly wrong...  :o
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Manuela

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2017, 01:40:06 AM »
One of the trickiest things I find with dresses is deciding on footwear to go with it.
There are some very good tips here:
https://youlookfab.com/2014/08/13/how-to-wear-dresses-with-flat-footwear/

Lyn-J

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 08:48:15 AM »
Comfortable ones!!!  :D
and if all else fails "ballet pumps"

Efemera

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2017, 08:50:49 AM »
Same here, Brenda.  I've finally accepted that shift dresses - which I like very much - are never going to look good on me.  Even one seems OK when trying it on, when sitting down your body rearranges itself and everything can go horribly wrong...  :o

Isn't that the truth! 0_0
I love the look of simple little shift dresses but they lose their appeal when they're as wide as they are long.... fit and flare for me, or empire line.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 08:52:59 AM by Efemera »

b15erk

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2017, 10:22:10 AM »
I had to think about this.  Day to day, I wear trousers and tops, more practical for me.  I do love getting dressed up in a 'proper' dress though.  Last time I wore one, was 12 months ago to a wedding.  However, when we are on holiday, I love to wear dresses and take several with me.

I don't like my legs, hate my thighs, and the extra weight doesn't flatter  ;)

Ladies, I love all your dresses, you have all found your style and are comfortable with it.  I'm not quite there yet! I was thinking of a shirt dress, but haven't got round to it yet.  -<

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Manuela

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2017, 11:31:42 AM »
I finished the 'play with stripes' dress to wear with the Cheshire cat shoes tomorrow. Wednesdays we teach a 4 hour Wearable Art session, my favourite day at work  :D

DementedFairy

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2017, 12:59:09 PM »
That's fantastic Manuela!  I was trying to make a similarly striking piece in stripes, but failed when I was betrayed by the terrible pattern.   :(

Your dress is gorgeous, with a strong 'Mod' feel to it
C'est moi!

Manuela

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2017, 13:13:56 PM »
Thank you DF  :)
Don't give up, it's fun to play. Now, if I could only find black & white ot navy & white striped fabric with a 2" stripe....

Ploshkin

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2017, 12:23:13 PM »
My DH is always complaining that I never wear 'a frock' (his words not mine).  I have a black one for funerals but I gave up skirts and dresses years ago as I invariably find myself having to tuck a skirt into my knickers to climb over a barbed wire fence or something.
Anyway, while he wasn't looking I ran one up on the overlocker.  It's cotton jersey and a pattern that I last used in 1985!  It was already cut for a size 10, which I am definitely not any more, but I gained over an inch by overlocking the seams without trimming any fabric off.  It's hanging in the wardrobe and I will just wear it one day - he probably won't register as it has nothing to do with lorries or tractors  :)
The picture may well be sideways or upside down.  My computer program automatically rotates them but it won't come out that way on here.
Life's too short for ironing.