Lantana

Re: Summer dresses - share what you make/made
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2017, 00:44:11 AM »
Emma that dress is gorgeous! What a beautiful job you've made of it. <3

:vintage:

Manuela

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2017, 01:38:23 AM »
Finished the next one and wore it yesterday. I used the same basic pattern (originally a blouse pattern) added neck hole and collar of Vogue 9112 onto it, and changed the hem into an asymmetric one. I loved V9112 eve since it came out, the shape of the dress isn't for me though.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2017, 10:22:54 AM »
I like that fabric and collar - in fact now I've looked at the pattern I actually love the whole pattern! Loose and baggy would suit me as I have a loose and baggy body  :)

Manuela

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2017, 11:16:56 AM »
Yay Bodgeitandscarper  :)
I have seen some lovely renditions of V9112, hope to see yours soon.

Manuela

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2017, 13:50:19 PM »
Finished another shirt dress this morning, before going to work. The fabric is a lightweight denim, leftovers from previos projects (the solid denim bits of my self-made denim lace). I didn't have enough fabric for a cut on facing/placket, or a sewn on facing, so I used a matching cotton broadcloth (also a leftover from previous project). To make it look less like a substitute, I used the denim's self edge as a trim at the front edge. I always wanted to try metallic thread  ;), so the topstitching thead is Gütermann's metallic thread in silver. It has pocketses as well...

dolcevita

« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2017, 13:56:03 PM »
Impeccable sewing, Manuela.  I really must get back to the loft this evening, but I need to tidy it first and that's what is really putting me off!  Still, I'm feeling inspired and must get on with it.

Lovely makes, ladies.

Emma2109

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2017, 22:31:16 PM »
Love your dresses Manuela....your sewing is impeccable (and yes, I do zoom in to have a better look

Vegegrow

« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2017, 08:45:36 AM »
What a lovely dress Manuela   :loveit:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

BajaSusana

« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2017, 15:55:35 PM »
Manuela, I have always liked your style. And I have seen the dress with sleeves as a belt. Not sure if it was yours or one on Pinterest.

I have a Lekala shirt dress pattern that I love, and have in line for a summer dress It has princess seams which suit my hour glass shape.
Addict and Brenda both of your dresses are lovely and perfect for summer.

Here in La Paz we have a fifth season that my DH has  dubbed "Summer Hell" the heat and humidity build up and it becomes unbearable from August 15 until October 15. On October 15 "they" flip the climate switch and our gorgeous weather returns.
I love dresses, but have discovered that I must incorporate a princess seam .
On my cutting table right now is a black cotton fit and flare dress I designed on Bootstrap.
It has a princess bodice, sweetheart neckline and a tulip skirt. I am going to apply some ready made embroidery appliqué.
I need this to wear to a luncheon mañana.

SHOES. Two years ago on a trip to Dallas I purchased ten pair of sandals at Designer Shoe Warehouse. Now that I can see again, I haven become painfully aare that they are all scuffed and worn.
We are not planning a trip north again until after hurricane season here.
I went to our big department store looking for anything I may like and would be willing to pay the high price. There were a few Tommy Hilfiger and other designer shoes for twice the US price. They were OK, but I do not pay to advertise designers.
I love ballet flats as well. My feet have spread so much since I have been here and wear sandals almost exclusively, that only soft ballet flats work for a closed shoe.
Our sidewalks are a mess, my shoes take a beating.
I have one pair of a slightly dressy sandal that would go with some dresses. And a pair of white patent leather flipflops with a demure rose. They seem to be wearable.
 Oh how I would love to come to HK and have shoes made for me!
I carry a tiny can of baby powder with me. I can powder my inner thighs at a dinner table and no one is the wiser!
I'll post my dress mañana.

Manuela

« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2017, 16:05:45 PM »
Looking forwrd to seeing your dress BajaSusana. I love princess seams, but wanted to get away from my former 'corporate uniform' of fitted sheath dresses. I still love them, but wanted to explore semi/loose fitting dresses, that work well with the heat and humidity in Hong Kong, and hemlines/shapes that look good with flat shoes.
My reputation at the Stitcher's Guild is, that I take a pattern and beat it within an inch of its life  :devil:

Kad

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2017, 12:11:38 PM »
Apart from the hemming this dress for my DD is complete.

Making it has bought back many memories: - the pattern is from 1976 and I was still at school when I made the first iteration in a blue/white/green narrow stripe. Literally wore the dress to bits over the next few summers. I made it again when DD was about 2, again in the same size, and this too was well loved.

Since then I've gained several pounds -ok stones - in weight, so no longer the pattern for me but, DD found the pattern and requested a dress.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

wrenkins

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2017, 12:23:22 PM »
Love that dress. Loved it then...love it now.
Beware!! There's always some buck eejit who'll grab the zip and say "is that a real zip?" as he leaves you standing with your navel out. It happened to me twice with a zip front dress! Boys are stupid!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Francesca

« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2017, 12:41:05 PM »
Loving all these summer dresses!

I just bought a 4-pack of "comfort shorts" to wear under dresses so I can get away with bare legs in the summer.

I've only really got 3 summer dresses in my wardrobe though (one RTW and two sewn) so I really need to get on it.

In my queue I have plans for:

A jersey maxi and the same in a knee length
A chambray shirt dress
A shirred-waist dress with a chiffon overlay

Need to get cracking though before summer disappears!

Lowena

« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2017, 12:43:36 PM »
Disappears??!! It hasn't started here yet!! We had a lovely April and I put away my winter wear.....today I bought 2 lightweight jumpers....in June!!
Love all the dresses but am still convinced that I cannot wear anything that shows my legs  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Francesca

« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2017, 12:57:56 PM »
There's still a good chance I won't have made all the above by the time September rolls around and it does indeed disappear!