The Sewing Place

Summer dresses - share what you make/made

Catllar

Re: Summer dresses - share what you make/made
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2017, 19:51:25 PM »
Dat, I love your dress - suits you to a T.

Manuela are you very tall?? That funnel neck would drown me and I'm 165, so I  am guessing you must be tall and stately!  The fabric is lovely.

Susan, I feel your pain - I too should  stop now when it all starts to head south. Got a flamenco skirt  on the go at the minute - designing as I go due to lack of fabric, carried on too long and mis-cut a skirt piece, could not afford to lose this fabric. Much bad language :angry:, then I stopped and got in the pool to cool off! No wine as I'm trying to detox for a few days. Had a chilled rooibos with orange juice and then some aw broccoli and hummus -not the same though!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Manuela

« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2017, 01:29:31 AM »
Catllar, I'm 172  ;)

b15erk

« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2017, 09:50:27 AM »
DC, I love your dress, well saved!

I was hoping to be able to put my latest make on here today.  Unfortunately, it's on another thread for all the wrong reasons!  A great big permanent marker mark on the overblouse - and yes, it will show massively.  :'(

Looking for suggestions to remove it....  :'(

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2017, 09:59:37 AM »
So I've just finished this, which is Love Notions  Rhapsody top. I hacked it into a dress and added an elasticated bloused waist and side seam pockets. The fabric is a gorgeous rayon challis I got from my favourite man in Spain. Just perfect for the summer heat - 33 here today, and I might have to make some more.

Why are my pictures from Dropbox always sideways - they don't start off like that, honest!

Lovely, mine was a disaster :(

datcat23

« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2017, 12:19:15 PM »

I was hoping to be able to put my latest make on here today.  Unfortunately, it's on another thread for all the wrong reasons!  A great big permanent marker mark on the overblouse - and yes, it will show massively.  :'(

Jessie

Jessie ....... hand sanitiser.  It will remove permanent marker from your hands, and if the mark isn't set into the fabric, it will remove it from fabric. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

b15erk

« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2017, 12:43:08 PM »
DC thank you, but unfortunately that was the first remedy I tried.  It didn't work, but it did smudge a little, mainly I think, because the fabric is 20+ years old - so it will be well set!

I'm going to keep trying though because I think it's the method which will cause least damage to the fabric.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Manuela

« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2017, 14:04:14 PM »

Jessie

Jessie, where exactly on the dress is the mark?

b15erk

« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2017, 15:02:53 PM »
Manuela, you did reply to my problem on the other thread, thank you for the advice.  I have been thinking about which repair would be the least 'in your face'. 

I intend to try the brake cleaner option (after trying it on a scrap of course), but if it doesn't work, I've had a look, and I think and applique may work.  At least it's at the back of the dress.  I have some of that stuff that you iron on, to apply appliques, so it's worth a shot.

Of all the problems I could have had with this dress, this was not one I was expecting!

It was actually shaping up quite nicely..... ;)

Jessie

Manuela

« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2017, 15:23:12 PM »
I finished another dress, again with a large collar - I only realised lately how much I like collars with some drama...

b15erk

« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2017, 15:47:26 PM »
Mmmmmm, what lovely fabric!  Very dramatic.

Really love this one.

Jessie

Emma2109

« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2017, 19:31:25 PM »
Someone gave me the Tilly & Buttons Cleo pattern.....so I made a pinafore with some lovely very lightweight linen/cotton mix fabric today...its loose, just the way I like it....going to make another one as it's quite comfy...

Catllar

« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2017, 20:28:53 PM »
Manuela it's the collar that does the job there, isn't it ? That and the gorgeously dramatic fabric. Simple dress shape needs nothing else!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Vegegrow

« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2017, 21:19:17 PM »
Manuela I love your dresses.... :loveit: ,,, I reckon I can count the times I wear a dress in a year on one hand... I live on a farm and  the only people I see on a day to day bases are DH, DD the post man and the van drivers from the delivery firms and I don't dress up for them  :ninja:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2017, 22:16:44 PM »
Manuela, that fabric is just amazing!!! <3  <3  And I love your collars.

wrenkins

« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2017, 08:36:21 AM »
Loving your dungadress Emma. Jeniffer Taylor is a big fan of those as is my bessy. Jeniffer Taylor...young and funky, my bessy...not so much!  :)
Yours is gorge. Nice tidy job.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!