The Sewing Place

Singer 359k

Lachica

Singer 359k
« on: March 11, 2021, 10:43:55 AM »
I have the chance to buy one for £25 but the owner says she can't thread the bobbin. It looks rather pretty, duck egg green, and apparently it powers up. I'm thinking either she can't make the bobbin winder work or that she doesn't know how to fit the bobbin properly. Would I be wasting my time?
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

LeilaMay

Re: Singer 359k
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 10:52:59 AM »
It's a straight stitch machine, although you could fit Singer attachments to it.
It's got built in electrics and internal electric motor.

If it all works well, then it's a good price. If something is not working or the wiring is dreadful or the motor is faulty, well it might be money wasted.
It's a bit like buying a second hand car - unless you're an expert it's a bit of a gamble.

If you can afford it, and would enjoy tinkering, then fine  :)

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 11:51:34 AM »
Thanks @LeilaMay. I'll see it in person (distanced) then decide. If the paintwork is very damaged or if there's rust I'll leave it.
Mary

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 13:49:38 PM »
I've seen it, it's very pretty, the paint is not chipped and there's no rust. It runs on the foot pedal, sounding smooth, and turns over on the handwheel. BUT... there's no bobbin & looks to me as though something is missing - the rotary hook mechanism? Spool pin missing too. The lady was prepared to accept £20 but I'm not risking it. Sadly, she was sold it & told it was working so understandably she wants to get her money back. For anyone who knows about these things it might be a good buy as what's there is in good condition.
Mary