The Sewing Place

I Want A New Serger

MitchOfTheNorth

I Want A New Serger
« on: March 11, 2021, 15:57:00 PM »
My current serger is a White - it's the exact same as the Husqvarna 250S.  I love it but it's 20 years old and has had about a million miles of thread run through it.  And for the first time ever, it started acting up.  I'm not swayed either way to manual thread or air thread.  I've threaded mine from scratch every time since I bought it.  I'm leaning toward another Husqvarna or a Pfaff.  I tried a Bernina 460 and it's not for me.  No one carries Juki around here.
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters

Marniesews

Re: I Want A New Serger
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 03:15:30 AM »
For overlockers I'm definitely a fan of Bernina (2016 and before) and Juki. Not surprising really as Juki stopped making the Bernina sergers & coverstitchers in 2016 although they were gradually phased out.

You know from your 20 year old machine how robust and reliable overlockers are in general so I'd be tempted to look for one up to 10 years old. You may not feel the same as I do if you've not owned either but it's worth a look to come home with a great machine and money left over for fabric!  ;)

Just a thought.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 14:45:06 PM »
Marniesews, thanks for the idea.  I just took a tour around the used sites - there is very little out there anywhere in BC.  One of gems I found was an avocado-coloured serger - I pretty certain that it predates mine by 20 years.  I'll call up the sewing machine dealers as they have no used sergers listed on their websites - maybe they have some that they haven't listed.
Stashbusting 2022

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 15:59:10 PM »
Sorry if this sounds like an obvious question but have you thought about getting it properly serviced? I've had mine for 30 years and occasionally it does play up but a good service usually sorts it out, unless of course you really, really want a new one  :laughing:

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 18:20:13 PM »
Surest1ch, I fixed the problem of snapping threads by cleaning the tension discs.  She's running fine now.  But in all the years I've had it (and she has been in for spa days before), it's never done anything.  Not so much as a hiccup.  OK, I confess that I was looking at/dreaming about a new serger before this.
Stashbusting 2022

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 19:48:08 PM »
@MitchOfTheNorth after my own heart, go for for it  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Stitchalot

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 07:48:04 AM »
I smiled at you saying ‘want’ not ‘need’. If honest, if would have to apply a ‘want’ to all of my machine exchanges. I say go for it!
A couple of years ago I changed my Bernina for a Babylock which I absolutely love and would recommend if within your budget. There was nothing wrong with the Bernina but I was lusting after air threading, LED lighting  and automatic tension which are fantastic. (Bernina now also now do these features).
I justified it by citing my arthritic hands and failing eyesight  :laughing:

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 08:51:46 AM »
 :D

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 19:22:49 PM »
Next Friday, I'm off with sister#3 to play with sergers  :dance:.  She's looking for a coverstitch.  I was the enabler-in-chief when she went looking for a new sewing machine and came home with an awesome machine that day.
Stashbusting 2022

Ann

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 20:39:09 PM »
Have fun looking @MitchOfTheNorth. If you want to buy one on-line in Canada go to Sewing and Embroidery Warehouse. They sell through Amazon. A friend of mine bought a Juki sewing machine from them and I'm looking at the same machine. She said she is really happy with this company. Troll Brothers is on Vancouver Island and she has Juki sergers also. 

Hope this helps you.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2021, 11:55:56 AM »
So, I bought my new serger.  I splurged on a Babylock Victory from a local shop.  She's still in the box as I only got home late last night.  I test drove 3 while I was away - 4 machines in total.  The other 2 were the Bernette 64 and Husqvarna Amber Air.  The Bernette 64 was loud - even the store owner said that people weren't buying it because it was so noisy - it clattered badly - my 20 year old serger is quieter.  The thread guides for the air loopers were hidden under a lip - the shop owner felt it was a design flaw and people struggled with it - she struggled with it.   I'd have to agree that putting thread guides where you have to bend over to look at them in order to thread properly was a poor choice on an air thread machine.  The Husqvarna Amber Air was good - quieter, easier to thread down to the air loopers, and enough power.  The stitches were good too.  It was also cheaper than the Bernette.  It would have been my serger if I hadn't tried out the Babylock and didn't have the funds for the Babylock. 
Stashbusting 2022