The Sewing Place

Quilt backing

maliw

Re: Quilt backing
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 10:33:58 AM »
I will too SG ...  :'(

But I do worry about my own stash of machines and fabric.  No-one I know would want them.   :(

Maybe I'll bequeath the lot to TSP:)  Anyone got a SuperTanker?

:thread: :sew: :fabric: :trousers: :snip: :vintage: :pin:[/move

Jessie
Don't know about a SuperTanker, if you add mine we would probably need a warehouse as well. 0_0

At leisure on the leisure penninsula

maliw

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 10:39:27 AM »
Sorry Lowena, got a bit sidetracked. What do I use - whatever I think will go with what I've done?. I've used matching cotton, sheets and curtain lining but I don't tend to hand quilt, most of mine has been done on the machine.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Sheilago

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 13:56:52 PM »

I don't label my quilts ( no one looks at them except me and they'll be thrown out when I shuffle off  :D )

Oh dear, Lowena, that sounds sad: your quilts are lovely.

I have to accept that not everyone loves patchwork

Lowena

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2017, 17:26:07 PM »
Thank you Sheila, but you haven't seen them close up  :D :D I couldn't possibly donate any as I'm sure they'd be rejected  :D :D
I have / do make small quilts for Project Linus when I think they're of an acceptable quality  :)
Having cleaned houses of "treasures" after old relatives have died, I keep telling OH that we must make sure we've pared our possessions to the bone before we shuffle off......less work for the next generation  :D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 17:27:53 PM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 17:40:02 PM »
We were clearing my late mother-in-law's house earlier this year.  She had a quilt on the spare bed, a traditional one made of hexagons in sevens with a common colour joining them together.  We knew it wasn't her work, and it was clearly made from scraps, or clothes, beautifully done, but not my colours, and we really didn't have room for it.  We reluctantly decided it would have to go to the charity shop.

That evening we popped round to the next door neighbour (they had been neighbours for almost 50 years), and I mentioned that there were all sorts of things in the house that must have sentimental value to some people, but it was very difficult not knowing who.  She said, very tentatively, 'There is a quilt - it's on the spare bedroom bed - that my mother made from my and my sister's summer dresses when we were children.  I don't suppose I could have it?  I don't have any of my mother's quilts.'

We went and got it, and she took it from us, hugged it and cried.   :'(  :*

How awful if we had taken it to a charity shop.

Not that that answers the question of what to do with our own quilts that may be beautiful, but don't have sentimental value to anyone else.   -<
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2017, 18:37:29 PM »
What a lovely story Acorn, glad there was a happy ending  <3

DementedFairy

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2017, 07:08:22 AM »
I'll get there one day as I can do arithmetic just not mathematics.  Dad was a Maths teacher and gave me permission to fail that Olevel.   -<

Surely it is just arithmetic?  I can't see any need for algebra, geometry, stats or mechanics in there...I dunno, you lot on the dark side lol
C'est moi!

twopence

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2017, 07:52:08 AM »
Yes, DF I know that bit it is ensuring that the back pieces are in the right place depending on how you quilt it and how much the quilting will show if out.  I'll probably be more confident if I do a quilt as I go.

BrendaP

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2017, 09:59:11 AM »
Surely it is just arithmetic?  I can't see any need for algebra, geometry, stats or mechanics in there...I dunno, you lot on the dark side lol

Arithmetic and geometry for patchwork.  Pythagorus's name might come into it when working out sizes of squares and triangles.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2017, 10:19:07 AM »
Arithmetic and geometry for patchwork.  Pythagorus's name might come into it when working out sizes of squares and triangles.

Then again, it might not  :D
Pure number manipulation only for me.. i.e. Arithmetic   :ninja:

rubywishes

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2017, 11:08:37 AM »
Then again, it might not  :D
Pure number manipulation only for me.. i.e. Arithmetic   :ninja:

Seriously, truly seriously love my calculator! :) :)
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Deafoldbat

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2017, 20:08:45 PM »
Arithmetic and geometry for patchwork.

It's the only use I've ever found for all that geometry they tried to teach me years ago. At least a calculator means I haven't got to find the log tables...

DementedFairy

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2017, 20:45:31 PM »
lol calculators ARE log tables these days...no more grubby pamphlets or slide rules
C'est moi!

Lowena

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2017, 10:25:03 AM »
Ooh, just the memories of log tables and slide rules gives me the heebie jeebies  :devil: