The Sewing Place

Recommendation for wadding...needed Soon!

Iminei

Recommendation for wadding...needed Soon!
« on: May 29, 2017, 08:59:35 AM »
Hi guys, Im having the B&W jobby layered on the 7th June so need to get some wadding sorted. I looked at some in the Emporia but the only 100% cotton they had was Hobbs which was off white with hideous dark flecks all over it.

The problem being that as the B&W jobby's White fabric is such a thin cotton sheeting (WHY WHY WHY did i bot think of the Design shops curtain lining ??? GGRRRR !!!  :devil:) any flecks will be very noticeble beneath the white areas.

So what I need are your thoughts, advice, recommendations for a really white 100% cotton wadding ....
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

rubywishes

Re: Recommendation for wadding...needed Soon!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 09:04:16 AM »
Has to be 100% cotton Im?
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 09:17:44 AM »
I prefer it yes, but if there is none I will have to review .... but most definitely not poly.

QuiltySisty

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 09:43:37 AM »
Hobbs washable wool is my favourite wadding, it has a lovely fluffy quality and is pretty uniform in colour, although it's a bit pricier than cotton!

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 10:05:27 AM »
I always use Hobbs Heirloom 80 / 20
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 10:49:16 AM »
I like to use Warm and Natural...
https://www.empressmills.co.uk/shop/quilt-waddings/warm-natural-90/
Think you can get it bleached too so it is white as opposed to natural/ cream

maliw

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 12:09:29 PM »
I've used 'bump' in the past if I got stuck. It's used for interlining curtains and is very similar to the cotton batting and is cheaper. It was recommended at CalicoLaine when they had run out of the stuff they sell for quilting.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Holly Berry

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 14:31:30 PM »
I've just been looking at soya wadding for my haori, and noticed that Empress Mills do a warm and plush wadding, which looks very white https://www.empressmills.co.uk/shop/quilt-waddings/warm-plush/
Procrastination get behind me

Syrinx

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 17:19:21 PM »
Have you looked at bamboo wadding? Clean, bright and easy to work with. Quilts really nicely too and you get good lift for the stitches so the quilting is subtle but defined.

Depending on how thick you want it to be you may need to double it up.

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 17:24:50 PM »
I've used 'bump' in the past if I got stuck

hahahaa ... I started quilting using bump!! I liked the drape it had and knowing no better liked the price too.
Afraid it will be far too beige for this. I think I will have to call up Doughtys or Empress Mills and tell them what I need....

I used bamboo when I made Ten for Imself.

It was a really hot summer (2014) and the longarmer had a roll of bamboo wadding in his studio.
I stuck my hot lil hands in its core and was immediately soothed by its gorgeous, soft coolosity, and I had to have it!

But I think you're right I did find it very thin!

But thank you all for your recommendations  :D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 17:28:24 PM by Iminei »