The Sewing Place

Worst tutorial EVER

Iminei

Worst tutorial EVER
« on: March 12, 2021, 12:30:29 PM »
Here Tis

Relating to the first portion of the vid ... QAYG without sashing (can you guess what Im doing yet ??)

Im flabberghasted by this .. and where she proclaims to be 'stitching in the ditch' I fell off my chair!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

Re: Worst tutorial EVER
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 12:45:44 PM »
Apart from her stitching in the ditch actually being stitching in the hedge next to the ditch!  if you do it that way you will get a lumpy ridge along the join.  The two pieces of wadding need to be butted together, not overlapped.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 12:52:56 PM »
I’m no quilter but that wasn’t the way my boss used to do QAYG.  That would result in a horrible mess!

Loving the stitch in the ditch!   Been doing that wrong for so many years obviously. 

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 12:58:08 PM »
Apart from her stitching in the ditch actually being stitching in the hedge next to the ditch! 

and using a 1/4" foot !!!!!!!!

I didnt get beyond that so cant comment on the rest of her 'techniques' !

Jesus Christ! And shes on youtube ?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

So Chic

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 13:53:54 PM »
I'm no quilter but even mine is better, and one of the reviews says it's the best ever tutorial.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Kenora

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 14:02:31 PM »

Jesus Christ! And shes on youtube ?

Anyone can make a YouTube video - doesn't mean it's going to be good. ;)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Flobear

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 14:07:42 PM »
Very true @Kenora   I've just been reading an article from Which? about things not to do with your iron. (For me there's only one thing and that's actual ironing  ;)

Any'ow, things such as putting disinfectant or vinegar in / on your iron have been put about by numpties on YouTube and plenty of people have been thinking - Ooh, that's good! without understanding the damage that they're causing.

Just cos it's on YouTube it doesn't mean it's right  :boohoo:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Sewingsue

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 14:12:13 PM »
Not sure I have ever seen anything so rushed or confusing  :thinking:

No, I am certain I have not seen anything as rushed and confusing.

Whatever she was doing it wasn't 'stitch in the ditch'. Actually with that double layer of wadding you couldn't stitch in the ditch as you would be trying to stitch through too many layers.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

WendyW

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 14:13:15 PM »
And shes on youtube ?

Anyone can post anything on Youtube. This is one reason I pay the monthly fee for Craftsy- the videos are worth watching. I have spent way too many hours sifting through $%#% videos when i need to find a decent one to learn a technique.

Mr Twingo

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 17:39:48 PM »
I'm no quilter by any means, but I do know what stitch in the ditch means. Maybe it means something different where she lives?

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2021, 10:09:50 AM »
As a total non-quilter, even I know what stitch in the ditch means.

As a lover of bodging things, I don't have a problem with her methods  :thumbsup:

(runs away and hides from the "real" quilty peeps)

Catllar

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2021, 11:14:52 AM »
That's very classy - made to last for generations and one day people will say - look at the skill in that, must have taken ages! :x :faints:
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

KayK

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2021, 11:51:31 AM »
Why do they have to have such dreadful music to accompany them?  And as for stitch in the ditch...well, pick a ditch, any ditch you like!  What a fat seam as well!  I didn't watch the whole video either!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Sara-S

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2021, 09:47:59 AM »
I think I will skip this one. But I do understand your point about frustrating YouTube "How-to" vids.  Anyone can make one and many are pure torture, with bad instructions and presenters who ramble or have poor speaking habits (e.g. saying "um"every other word.).
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2021, 09:54:55 AM »
It always bugs me when the presenter apologises for you not being able to see something because they (or a body part) is in the way of the camera.
Simple solution - move the ****ing camera or demonstrate from a different position.
Life's too short for ironing.