The Sewing Place

Pens for tracing/marking patterns - and 'sticky' tape

Sewingsue

Pens for tracing/marking patterns - and 'sticky' tape
« on: March 15, 2021, 11:10:38 AM »
Could I ask those of you who trace out your patterns which pens you would recommend?
I am using Swedish Tracing Paper if that makes any difference.

Also recommendations for tape please.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Pens for tracing/marking patterns - and 'sticky' tape
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 11:39:02 AM »
Wash away double sided tape?  This is what I got last time, it's fine.

Sewingsue

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 11:51:42 AM »
Wash away double sided tape?  This is what I got last time, it's fine.
Thanks, but I meant tape for taping tissue/tracing paper together when you alter the pattern.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 11:57:36 AM »
Oops!  I don't do tracing patterns.  :laughing:

StitchinTime

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 11:59:05 AM »
I use cheap micropore tape from the First Aid section of the likes of Home Bargains or BM Bargains. It is easy to tear off the roll and can be written on with biro or pencil.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 12:02:47 PM by StitchinTime »

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 12:16:28 PM »
Nothing fancy here, I use a pencil for drawing the lines and ordinary sellotape (other brands of clear sticky tape are available  ;) ) for joining bits of paper together, for instance when doing FBAs. For paper I use rolls of paper tablecovering. I bought a pack of two jumbo rolls about 7 years ago and they will see me out!

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 12:35:16 PM »
I use Burda tracing paper and a glue stick.

Ohsewsimple

Helen M

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 14:49:47 PM »
I use magic tape as well, it can sometimes be removed without tearing printer paper. The removable one is brilliant too but I don't find it sticks well permanently, good for alterations though.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Sewingsue

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 15:02:38 PM »
Thanks. Magic Tape. That's the name I was trying to remember.

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 17:28:16 PM »
@Helen M: I also use the 3M magic tape and it even works with tissue paper and will left off without tearing if you are very, very careful.

Elnnina

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2021, 17:42:58 PM »
I use the tape that Fit for Real People suggest, it is Scotch Magic Tape but it is only 12mm wide as opposed to the normal Magic Tape that is 19mm wide, and believe me it does make a huge difference.  However I found I had to order this tape from an office shop and it came on big reels, so I had to buy a proper large dispenser for this.

Marniesews

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2021, 18:22:56 PM »
Whatever you do don't get into the habit of writing the pattern info with a Frixxion pen because they're always at hand. Guess what happens if you need to iron the creased up tracing afterwards?  :rolleyes:

I still use my much favoured Venus drawing pencils in a soft B grade. No longer made sadly but we got a few boxes in the 70s for tracing patterns and hopefully enough to see me out. I use my much loved 2-stage pencil sharpener for long lovely points.

As for the tape, yes Magic Tape for me but it bothers me even using the narrower width so I've got into the habit of cutting lengths in half lengthwise. It minimises the incidence of pushing pins through it and it's so much easier to pull off without too much damage if you make a mistake. A bit of smug comfort for my economic tendencies too - I do have some, albeit admittedly not entirely consistent in some things.

This innocent little sewing forum can be so revealing, can't it?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 16:55:55 PM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2021, 22:29:27 PM »
@Marniesews its also not a good idea to use Frisian pens on a toile! :rolleyes:
Forgot that’s what I had when I marked one, sewed it up, pressed the seams etc........ :laughing:

UttaRetch

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2021, 08:48:51 AM »
Could I ask those of you who trace out your patterns which pens you would recommend?
I am using Swedish Tracing Paper if that makes any difference.
I use an ordinary ballpoint with Swedish tracing paper.  I do have pencils ... somewhere and have lost the sharpener, too.