The Sewing Place

Hello, I’m new here

Seaview

Hello, I’m new here
« on: March 15, 2021, 17:13:35 PM »
 Hi, I’ve been a member for a few weeks and thought it’s about time I said ‘hello’.

My sewing journey started a couple of summers ago when I visited Liberty’s London and bought some Tana lawn in their sale.  At that stage I knew I wanted to learn to garment sew but had never sewn any garments before.  To be honest I’d only previously made a couple of blinds and a pair of curtains many years ago.

Not long after the fabric purchase Christmas and my birthday came along and I was fortunate to get a Bernina 350 sewing machine.  Well, the machine was untouched for months as I had no idea where to start with pattern purchasing and using my machine etc.  That didn’t last too long as I am now on a pattern buying ban and I have made friends with my machine.

I finally started my garment sewing journey shortly after our first lockdown last year when I made an Ogden Cami with my Liberty fabric.  Fortunately, a few weeks before lockdown I’d had a lesson on how to use my sewing machine in the shop where I bought it from.  I now have a healthy stash and some wearable garments.  However, I still have a lot to learn and would really like to attend a class on pattern adjusting to get a better fit as soon as classes start up again.

Bye for now ..........

UttaRetch

Re: Hello, I’m new here
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 17:18:33 PM »
Welcome to the Forum.  We were all beginners once and there is hundreds' of years of experience here and willing helpers.

Marniesews

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 17:23:36 PM »
Hello and welcome to TSP.  :)

You've made impressive early choices starting with Liberty fabric and a Bernina. Despite the initial reticence it sounds like you've got a grip on where you are and a good idea of the direction to take to get the best results. It's a life of learning no matter what age you start so it's a hobby/interest/addiction that never stops giving.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 17:39:42 PM »
Welcome from me - you sound as if you know where you want to go - we'll help you get there if you shout!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Silver Rose

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 19:20:03 PM »
Hello and welcome @Seaview , you have made a good start with your sewing.
Still learning

fajita

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 19:29:20 PM »
Welcome @Seaview  :drink: :cake:

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 19:36:23 PM »
Hello there...

Helen M

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 19:49:37 PM »
Hello and welcome to TSP!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Seaview

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 20:18:41 PM »
Welcome from me - you sound as if you know where you want to go - we'll help you get there if you shout!

Thank you, will bear that in mind!

charley

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 20:29:46 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too.

Kenora

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 21:18:12 PM »
And a warm welcome from me as well. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2021, 21:55:20 PM »
Welcome to TSP

If you are having problems with fitting a specific item post some photos; there are a few people on here who are excellent at seeing what the problemis.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2021, 22:03:26 PM »
Welcome to TSP.  Good start with a Bernina and Liberty lawn. One of my fave fabrics to work with.  Just behaves so well, resists creasing and washes up wonderfully.

Tamnymore

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2021, 22:11:07 PM »
Welcome @Seaview . Liberty fabric is lovely. Glad you have a healthy stash. Some of us have been around so long our stashes are decidedly unhealthy!  :laughing:
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Lachica

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2021, 22:15:11 PM »
Welcome. Do you have a sea view from your sewing machine?
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.