The Sewing Place

Listing of Fashion Design and Textile books and more

Marniesews

Listing of Fashion Design and Textile books and more
« on: March 16, 2021, 16:14:23 PM »
I came across this listing of fashion design and textile books ages ago when searching for something specific but have only just got around to closing the tab and bookmarking it. It's a good long eclectic list of all sorts both academic and general interest from:

-- Dior to pattern cutting books,
-- niche areas like Hawaiian shirt design to eyeglass retrospective fashions,
-- designer biographies to the Islamic fashion industry in Turkey,
-- fashion theory to fashion in fiction (literature, film and TV)
-- world fashion to fashion illustration,
-- school projects to subversive fashion sewing
-- quite a few publications on historical costumes from Ancient Egyptian/Mesopotamian and Persian costume and medieval armour to 1960s fashion fabrics

to name but a few!

I warn you there are many more categories that I would have liked to mention...but I really don't want to delay you any longer from clicking the link right here!

If you have any favourite comprehensive listings of fashion/sewing related books/blogs/videos (ideally with links to the item) etc please share.  :)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Silver Rose

Re: Listing of Fashion Design and Textile books and more
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 16:48:22 PM »
Thank you for the link @Marniesews.
Still learning

annieeg

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 16:58:40 PM »
Thank you from me too :thumbsup:

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 17:46:36 PM »
Thank you for that link, but I looked at three random books and all three were cheaper from Amazon! - well two from Amazon and one from an Amazon reseller.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Marniesews

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 17:52:23 PM »
Good point @BrendaP  I was only really thinking as a source to identify books of interest. I always shop around for price comparisons and have got some lovely books as used buys in superb condition. I just find it inspiring and useful to have a big listing like this.

Edited to add: I also often look up books on issuu.com to look through the book in detail to decide if I want to buy it. If not, I can save it to my issuu stack to read online. Realistically although only a percentage of the books on this particular listing will be available to view on issuu, it's still useful even though I only have the free membership. There's the added benefit that even then others pop up when you search so sometimes I've made serendipitous discoveries through that.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 20:45:51 PM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 08:48:17 AM »
issuu had a lot of Threads' issues up, but there must have been a 'cease and desist' because they have all gone.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 11:49:31 AM »
A number of books I looked at on issuu have disappeared. 

Marniesews

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 16:37:48 PM »
Oh dear, you're right. My stack looks somewhat lighter having just revisited. I had a couple of old threads on there too. Must admit I was quite surprised to see them at the time.