The Sewing Place

Wall Hanging

rubywishes

Wall Hanging
« on: March 18, 2021, 05:25:52 AM »
I've been waaaaaaaay absent of late due to taking time out looking after an injured shoulder and neck which has curtailed my activities significantly. This is my completed wall hanging top. When it is finished it should measure about 45" x 48".

I have been determined through necessity (thankyou Covid lockdown) to not buy any fabrics until I have used up all my scraps and leftovers. So, I pulled out all my fabrics, even the drop dead ugly fugly ones, and dragged out all my patterns and after sorting through  all my autumn tone bits and pieces I determined I had enough to put together a wall hanging using my Judy Neimeyer "Desert Sky" pattern as a base. 

Leaping into action without checking my file cabinet, I kicked the scanner and printer into action and spent a frenzied morning printing out all my paper sections and segments only to find that in the file cabinet I already had a heap of spares printed and leftover from last time...grrrrr, oh well, more papers ready for next time I guess. I love this pattern, it goes together so easily....it's a good beginner fpp project.....and even if you don't have the balance of shading in your colours, or the quantity of fabrics that the pattern requires, you can still make a pretty nice layout.

I'll quilt this in 1/2" vertical lines......it came out well on my "Desert Sky" (my avatar)  so I anticipate likewise for this one, plus, it's super easy to do if not a little tedious but hey....loud music, mellow state of mind and a glass of red...I'm set!
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Ploshkin

Re: Wall Hanging
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 08:46:21 AM »
Exquisite as always.  Good to hear from you.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 09:00:52 AM »
You truly are The Queen of FPP Brava !!!

All Hail Queen Ruby

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 09:10:11 AM »
That is beautiful.  If there are any ugly fabrics in there you've found their place in life because they all look lovely!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Elnnina

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 09:55:01 AM »
Stunning Rubywishes, absolutely stunning.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 10:12:30 AM »
@rubywishes   That is serously good. :loveit:

No fabric is too ugly to use if it is cut into small enough pieces.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

rubywishes

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 11:22:37 AM »
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. It's taken a while to get back into the sewing room or even feel like checking out my quilting forums and fb but it's nice to finally be back behind the Juki.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 11:23:23 AM »
Really lovely @rubywishes .
I always thought you had a bit of the :devil: in you.......now I know it's true  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Efemera

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 11:53:56 AM »
Fabulous.... I love a pointy pattern.

Butterfly

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 20:34:51 PM »
That is gorgeous  :thumbsup:
Creativity is contagious, pass it on

Lilian

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 23:34:57 PM »
Just beautiful @rubywishes I love the colours  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Lachica

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 07:51:31 AM »
That's fantastic! What skill!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Catllar

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 12:42:02 PM »
That's lovely - I've got that pattern in one of her books - one day maybe!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

rubywishes

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2021, 10:51:37 AM »
Well the wall hanging is all quilted and ready for trimming, squaring up, binding and then hand stitching the rod pocket on.
Right, get yourself a coffee, this may take a while...

Now, I never get through a project without some dilemma so I was feeling a little concerned when I started day 2 of my quilting with nary a hiccup in sight, until..(cue suspenseful music).... 
There I was, a new day dawned with no housework or errands to do, a fresh cup of herbal tea brewed and some sterling CD choices lined up by the CD player. The sun is shining through the window, curtains gently ruffling in the mild breeze and my first CD starting to play as I sit down at my machine and prepare to quilt. But wait, what's this? A loving glance at my Juki as I don the quilting gloves and I notice that my machine has been threaded completely missing the tension return spring and the hook thingy after that. "No," I mutter, "no, no, oh please no, don't tell me I quilted horrible loopy yucky stitches ALL afternoon yesterday without noticing! Surely someone must have broken into my house overnight solely to muck up my thread path..... surely I didn't quilt for 5 hours yesterday with the machine incorrectly threaded!"  :scream: :boohoo:  My by now "bugging-out-of-my head" eyes roll somewhat manic-like towards my half
done quilt as with sweaty hands I grab it and examine the stitching...."it's perfect" I whisper to myself in disbelief..."it's just fine"!
I was stunned and hugely relieved to see that the stitching was just fine! So after putting on some "Eurythmics" loudly to celebrate, I made myself a test sandwich, changed my bobbin thread to a contrasting colour and did some sample runs of stitching so I could truly see how it had sewn. Well it was pretty damn near perfect, front and back and I had to truly put my magnifyer goggles on before I could discern that the stitching done on the tester with the incorrect threading had just the teeniest peek/bobble of top thread through onto the back indicating a slightly looser tension. Taking turns pulling each of the threads showed both the bobbin and needle threads firmly anchored.
I concluded that (a) I need to pay more attention when I am threading my machines
                        (b) I dodged a significant bullet
and                   (c) I absolutely love my Juki 2010 to the moon and back!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 11:01:47 AM by rubywishes »

Lilian

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2021, 19:58:00 PM »
@rubywishes That quilting is so suitable for the quilt, it looks so professional, a cracking job! I love it, well done  :toast:
Willing but not always able :)