The Sewing Place

How would you quilt this?

Twiggy

How would you quilt this?
« on: March 18, 2021, 10:14:30 AM »
I'm working on a simple lap quilt for my husband and I'm now at the stage where I am ready to quilt it. I'm not going to heavily quilt it (I'd have to send it out to get a finish I'd be happy with) but I'm not sure if I should simply ditch quilt it or outline quilt it.  -<

Any thoughts?

It's the Cobblestone quilt from the fat quarter shop.
I'm Nikki and I am usually sewing happily on a Janome 9450QCP with a Janome 6260QC as a backup/sewing class machine. I also like to knit and crochet.

BrendaP

Re: How would you quilt this?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 10:44:20 AM »
My go-to quilting when I'm not sure what to do is all over FMQ squiggles.

I think that you could quilt straight lines across the large rectangles so that they look like a central square with two smaller rectangles (to match the rectangles on the other two sides of that square.  Also stitch in the ditch around all the seams and then do something in just the squares - FMQ or just a diagonal cross. 

If you do just a cross in the squares it migh need outline quilting around all the rectangles.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 11:17:30 AM »
Stitch in the ditch is not easy and rarely looks effective imo.
Gentle curves, or criss cross in the large squares is probably what I would do.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 12:52:57 PM »
My go to for a geometric quilt is diagonals or chevrons.  It's usually possible to eyeballl the straight lines between corners of pattern pieces.  Sometimes I might make just a small mark if it's too far to travel.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 13:09:02 PM »
Nice fabrics ...

Hi there Twiggy and welcome to TSP ..

Do you want it to be a 'manly' quilt ??? or not too bothered ?

You could do something like this (found in the Tutorial section of The Darkside) from the centre point of each 'cobblestone' or even from the intersection of four seams.

This would of course break up the pattern, which is something you may not want to do having taken so much effort to make it ...

Another idea would be a diagonal line from each of the eight outer corners of the cobblestone ... which would make a nice 'star' effect ??!! Mark the middle point with a ruler and aim for that point with each line, continuing through to the opposite corner ... I quite like that idea but then straight line quilting is very much my thing.

Failing that diagonal crosses are very effective, but I dont know how big the cobblestones are ... if they really big you will need more than that ... an outstretched hand placed on the quilt should touch lines of quilting ... thats the general rule.

Im another one who steers clear of SID; its a bugger to get right, takes time and you cant see the stitches in the end if you do get it right ... so a lot of effort for not much reward other than a held together quilt.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 13:27:50 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 13:41:36 PM »
Ive drawn this out and it looks a bit like a Maltese cross within the block, but will be star like on the back ... I think this could be a good option ... not difficult.

Excuse the fumbley red lines ... its not as exact as it could be but you get the jist.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 13:49:18 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Deafoldbat

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 19:05:27 PM »
The only drawback with lines that cross each other is that you have to get them spot on or it will annoy you (no one else will really notice, but you'll know  :rolleyes:)

You could mark diagonal lines in one direction across the whole thing, about 2 inches apart - not sure how big it is, you might get away with 3 inches. Start in one corner and mark a 45deg line and draw parallel lines. Use a neutral thread. The advantage of only going in one direction is you won't have to cross any of the quilting lines so you won't end up with those annoying little puckers when the  layers have shifted. Maybe add a few more pins first before you commit to anything.

Twiggy

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 07:16:50 AM »
Thanks for the quilting advice everyone and also for the link to the tutorials (will be spending some time looking at those!).

I discussed the suggestions with my husband and he wondered why I hadn't thought of using some decorative stitches from my machine. I never even thought of using one of those and if I am honest I often forget they are there  :facepalm:.  He's decided to go with a combination of (not so close) outline stitching for the larger pieces and a brick decorative pattern down the middle of the smaller ones. Picture attached.

I think he's chosen well and it was a quick sew. Just a very fine striped fabric for the binding to be added. I'll try to remember to post a finished pic.
I'm Nikki and I am usually sewing happily on a Janome 9450QCP with a Janome 6260QC as a backup/sewing class machine. I also like to knit and crochet.

Twiggy

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 10:16:54 AM »
Tada!

Finished and given to the hubby. Not easy to see but there is a line of quilting to break up the big blocks. The stripy binding is quite effective and  masculine I think. He's now wishing the weather was a bit cooler lol.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 10:18:36 AM by Twiggy »

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2021, 12:13:07 PM »
Very nice, I'm sure he'll treasure it

rubywishes

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2021, 07:41:54 AM »
Lovely choice of colors and a very "blokey" quilt  :)

@Twiggy I agree with deafoldbat.....more pins next time? (For example, I use about 150 pins for a 45" x 50" project.) It will give you a more secure surface for quilting and ensure no slip or bagging.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2021, 09:23:22 AM »
Gosh @rubywishes I only ever use 4 safety pins. One at each corner

Celia

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2021, 09:54:06 AM »
@Lowena do you hand quilt if so that might be why you manage without pins. I used to hand quilt things a long time ago,but they were not pieced so maybe a bit different

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2021, 10:55:18 AM »
Yes @Celia I do. I use lots of 505 spray and then pin the corners.

fajita

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2021, 13:13:12 PM »
I don’t use spray. I use pins, appropriately every 3-4 inches.