The Sewing Place

I need ideas

Lowena

I need ideas
« on: March 18, 2021, 11:32:40 AM »
I've ground to a halt! :S
I need help!
I don't want to do anything ( pattern )I've done before, nothing too easy and straightforward but nothing too difficult.
The jewel / star blocks I just can't get my head round.
I've searched online but nothing grabs my attention  :'(
What's your favourite or go -to block?
How do I beat this malaise?
What do you do when you find yourself in a similar situation?
H.E.L.P. Please  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

Re: I need ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 11:40:07 AM »
Try string quilting to use up all your scraps.   :devil:

If I'm stuck for ideas I search online using Google for images and find something I like the look or and go from there.  Or I just flip through one of my quilt design books.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 12:46:37 PM »
My go to block is log cabin.  It's can have so many different looks depending on how wide / narrow the pieces are cut and the colours and layout used.  I think my log cabin quilt with stars will always be my favourite quilt  - it was the  second quilt I ever made.  By the way, the stars aren't difficult, it's just a little half square triangle attached to the end of the long blocks. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 12:49:11 PM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 12:52:20 PM »
Thank you @Ploshkin that's lovely. The stars give an added dimension

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 13:51:22 PM »
That's lovely @Ploshkin - those stars really do give it a lift.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 13:57:48 PM »
@Lowena it was a pattern from the first Pam & Nikki Lintott book -

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 14:02:19 PM »
Im making an applique piece to give me some rest from all the quilting Ive been doing ... This is what Im doing at the moment

I bought it off Faceache, I added the button windows and the shell covers up a gap on the beach where the sand fell off ...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

This is where Im up to now ... You could applique your house @Lowena

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

LeilaMay

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 14:09:16 PM »
I think you have to seek out (inside) what inspires you. Do you like the experimental process? Do you like the finished item? Do you want to make something useful, decorative, a gift, a personal item? What  are you favourite visual images or subjects or interest, can you incorporate textile work with them?

Be brave, spread your wings!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 14:36:21 PM »
what wise advise @LeilaMay

I am mostly inspired by fabric, so a good refold of the fabric cupboard is always going to be full of ideas for me.
I also like a look through my patterns and books.

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 15:20:54 PM »
Thank you girls.
I'm very limited @LeilaMay in that I can't do any other type of sewing except p and q, ( unfortunately,including applique @Iminei )
I'd love to be really creative but I can only really follow a pattern.
I'll keep looking.

StitchinTime

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 15:42:30 PM »
There are lots of free patterns on the Moda website. Perhaps one of those will take your fancy.
https://modafabrics.com/inspiration-resources/free-patterns

Ploshkin

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 15:51:03 PM »
You've got a Lintott book or two haven't you @Lowena   There's usually some inspiration to be found there and their instructions are excellent.

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2021, 15:53:03 PM »
Thanks for geeing me up folks. I think I'm just feeling a bit low and demotivated at the moment.
I'll pull myself together,get on with life and hopefully come back to things when I feel brighter.
I tried felting....it went wrong. I tried hand embroidery....it went wrong so I guess I'll shut the door of my craftroom and clean the oven!  :faints:

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2021, 15:54:48 PM »
Yes I have @Ploshkin but I've made most of them and they're for precuts which I don't have atm. Just a few fqs  :thinking:

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2021, 17:02:08 PM »
it went wrong so I guess I'll shut the door of my craftroom and clean the oven!  :faints:

You'd do better to shut the door of the oven and get yourself into the craft room - or the library
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.