The Sewing Place

The Secret Life of the Sewing Machine

MrBob

The Secret Life of the Sewing Machine
« on: March 18, 2021, 14:38:11 PM »
I saw a link to this delightful youtube video about how sewing machines work on another forum and thought it might be of interest here. I thought it was well presented and entertaining....
https://youtu.be/8lwI4TSKM3Y

MistyRose

Re: The Secret Life of the Sewing Machine
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 16:32:06 PM »
Thanks Bob.    We watched this when it came out in the 1980's.   But it was nice to see the update at the end with Tim.

Silver Rose

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 16:55:33 PM »
Thanks for the link @MrBob   I remember his interesting TV programmes on how things work and odd inventions.
Still learning

Marniesews

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 17:38:53 PM »
I know I've seen excerpts but not sure if I've ever seen the entire piece. That's the beauty of poor memory - enjoying things over and over afresh.  ;)

Thank you for the link.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 18:42:55 PM »
Wonderful to see again ...
I shall watch when the TV reverts to its dire Sleb doing things in faux competition state ... thank you x
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

whofilets

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 21:02:38 PM »
I was absolutely fascinated with this and sent it to all my sewing, and many of my non-sewing, friends. mostly thirtysomething Americans, so on to new audiences!
US to UK, brought all the fabric and yarn with me

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2021, 11:51:26 AM »
Tim Hunkin was a genius at making complicated concepts simple.  I recall when DS was small, every school holiday (although, preferably for me, inset day - other schools were not also off and it was generally quieter) he'd want to go to the science museum and in those days there were lots of Tim Hunkin displays, which were fascinating for both of us.

I remember these shows being on TV and I'm glad YT has made them available again.

That French machine with NO safety guards and a second operator looked flamin' scary - maybe the Luddites who broke them up were really from the Health & Safety inspectorate  ;)