The Sewing Place

Vogue Spring patterns 2021

UttaRetch

Vogue Spring patterns 2021
« on: March 20, 2021, 08:14:13 AM »
You can see them here.  The standouts for me are:

it's not a great fit on the slim model and would be a disaster on lumpy old me;

I'm thinking about the maxi version, although all those buttons would be a trial; and this

would cover the big arse and saddlebag thighs.  :laughing:

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Vogue Spring patterns 2021
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 09:40:33 AM »
I went to look, all excited, and came away utterly disappointed  :(

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 09:53:19 AM »
Me too. I'm getting used to being disappointed.

annieeg

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 09:54:16 AM »
Having always been on the search for loose fitting dress patterns with some style/design features, I  like V1777 and V1780 :ninja:

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 10:18:40 AM »
The black one would best for me without that funny bit in the middle, the skirt a big no, I made one similar some time ago, using some really nice fine wool fabric and I am just too dumpy, willowy I am not.  It was the one with the castellated cut out pieces for creating the pleats.  I can't face chucking it out either.  The dress too fussy for me, I'm more a streamline person.

Love the description though @UttaRetch 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 10:43:08 AM »
The only one I vaguely like is the jacket but not enough to want to make it.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 11:48:10 AM »
I quite like V1784 Marcy Tilton shirts.  Just because it’s different. 

dolcevita

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 12:29:39 PM »
I coukd barely see anything after my eyes popped out at the prices!!! :o

Efemera

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2021, 12:30:26 PM »
Nothing for me....

LeilaMay

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2021, 12:44:04 PM »
Possibly the asymmetric blouse 1784? But I need to learn to make 'ordinary' stuff first.

Tamnymore

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2021, 16:11:51 PM »
I think there are some nice patterns here - I'd not be able to wear some of the ones I like though. I thought the Tom and Linda Platt coat and dress here would be nice for a wedding - not that we will be able to go to any of those.

Now  this would be fabulous if you are young, thin, going to a party and have a lot of fabric you want to use (7m+ anyone) and I only have one of these attributes - guess which one? (clue not young, thin or going to a party).

The Rachel Comey dress is in a rather dull fabric and it is too big for the model but it's from her Spring 2020 catwalk collection where it looks much better. I've made some Rachel Comey stuff before - a plain looking shirt dress a couple of years ago- and it  turned out  much better than I expected.

An asymmetric shirt by Marcy Tilton - yesssss! Because I haven't got enough Marcy Tilton asymmetric shirts in my life. There are various versions of this pattern on Marcy's website - where it looks much more enticing.

The V1783 maxi dress is nice. I like the Sandra Betzina jacket - and because it's Sandra Betzina you can be sure the fit will be good but I have a lot of similar jacket patterns. I quite like the skirt with all the buttons but probably not for me. The wide trousers are amazing but I think you might have to have a waist for those - so that rules me out!

In terms of price you have to wait for a sale then shop carefully to avoid customs duty (then wait for 3 weeks for the patterns to arrive). It will be an age before they appear on the UK site and UK sales seem to be a thing of the past.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 17:52:59 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

mudcat

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2021, 18:35:52 PM »
I was completely uninspired.  It all looks the same as prior collections and what's with the return of hi/low hems.  Those seem dated to me.  I don't like huge sleeves at all. But I know it's just my warped sense that nothing but sleeveless will do for me (outside of cardigans when needed).  It does seem like fuller skirts are now on trend.

I hope I'm wrong but it seems like they're going to eventually do away with the designer patterns most likely after any contracts expire.  Fewer and fewer of them since the ever so delightful company took over.

Tamnymore

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2021, 18:55:21 PM »
I'd be sorry if they did away with the designer patterns as they are generally the best bit because they are the patterns from the catwalk originals. I'm eyeing a couple of great Zandra Rhodes jackets from a few years back. One is the pattern from a 1970 original! There are also clever designer knockoffs. Check the Pattern vault website for details of some of these. It's the designer stuff which lifts Vogue above the other brands (even Stylearc which I love too).

UttaRetch

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2021, 09:16:00 AM »
@mudcat, the hi-lo hem has never really gone away and I have grown to like it, although not the most extreme version.
@Tamnymore, the catwalk patterns are still there just not name-checked.  Others have pointed out Alexander McQueen influences and you can see it when doing a comparison. 

Tamnymore

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2021, 09:51:18 AM »
Yes there are the named designer patterns designed by the actual designer e.g. Zandra Rhodes, Rachel Comey etc. which are exact copies of an outfit from their catwalk collections and named as such,  and then there are what are effectively catwalk knockoffs which are very close to the originals designed by the Vogue in house designer - find him on Instagram as carlosatvogue. I made an Alexander McQueen coat last year which was a Vogue in house design  V1649- though if you look at the picture on the pattern envelope you can see it looks very like the catwalk original. I 'improved' the design by adding some tartan (and putting a full lining in which wasn't in the pattern). V1714  - peplum moto jacket is a less complex version of a McQueen jacket.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 09:54:54 AM by Tamnymore »