The Sewing Place

How do I shorten three piece sleeves?

Vezelay

How do I shorten three piece sleeves?
« on: March 20, 2021, 12:58:29 PM »
This is the jacket: https://jalie.com/products/zip-front-jacket-and-hoodie?currency=eur. And here's the sleeve pattern layout - as you can see it's actually four pieces, and will be colour blocked (the two underarm pieces different) so I can't just substitute another sleeve. And there's a cuff which I'll be shortening too.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I need to shorten somehow by a good 2" but if I take a line straight across the outer pieces will end up wonky. Just wondering is there a formula for this, a correct method, or do I just wing it?

Efemera

Re: How do I shorten three piece sleeves?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 13:48:42 PM »
Just draw a line straight across all three pieces and take out the required amount... you may have to smooth out the seam edges.

Vezelay

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 14:17:18 PM »
@Efemera thanks - I wondered that. I'd end up with this
or this

Neither seems ideal - lots of smoothing out to do. But is one out of the two options preferable?

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 15:58:59 PM »
Yes just smooth the lines @Vezelay

Vezelay

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 16:47:37 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 22:57:29 PM »
If you find smoothing the lines out awkward try doing it in two separate areas instead of one.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 23:45:59 PM »
Another less conventional option would be to take it all from the 'cuff' end of the sleeve, though you might then want to taper the two outside pieces so that the width of the cuff matches the original width.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.