The Sewing Place

Metal eyelets

Lyn-J

Metal eyelets
« on: May 29, 2017, 15:43:14 PM »
(I hope I'm posting in the right place)
I've got two different make of 1 cm across metal eyelets. Both work by the same process. make a hole in the fabric with a cutting tool, place a ring either side and hammer together. But the bu88ers don't grip the fabric.
I've tried hammering them, using pliers and even putting them in a vice, No luck!
The fabric I'm using is cotton, I thought this might be too thin but tripling it didn't help.
One brand I have the metal split  :o
Am I doing something wrong?
For my current project I've abandoned the eyelets and am using button holes, but I would like to use them in the future.

Vegegrow

Re: Metal eyelets
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 15:53:27 PM »
There are several YouTube videos on the subject... would any of them help?
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 19:15:52 PM »
I had problems a short while ago with metal snaps which fix in the same way.  I had 3 different lots and couldn't use any.  The tool provided that you put in and bang, in the same way as fitting an eyelet, just didn't spread the metal properly.  It seemed to just mangle it so they wouldn't fasten.   I think they were just cheaply made.
Life's too short for ironing.

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 20:13:47 PM »
Sometimes they don't give you the right tool, sometimes they're just crap.  You may be cutting too big a hole- ideally you don't cut at all, but use an awl to make a hole, and gently work it apart.  I progressively use an awl, a wooden skewer and a chopstick!
C'est moi!

Sandra

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 10:06:26 AM »
I'm pleased to know it's not just me.

I finally decided to try fixing proper poppers into a jacket...I'd always said 'NO. I don't do them', before.
Bought the proper Prym tool and poppers.

Watched the video several times...( to see what I could be doing wrong)... They just didn't really fix properly. -< Bent out of shape...not fixing in properly...looks like it's fixed, but falls off if you touch it.

I wasted an entire pack to start with, so had to buy another. Gave up with the Prym tool and tried the little gadget which comes in the pack of poppers and a HAMMER. Lost my temper after a while and have bashed a dent in my sewing table in frustration.

It looks so simple in the video. It wasn't for me. All I'd needed to do was replace 2 poppers in a jackets pocket flaps.

Sandra.
xxx

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 10:28:39 AM »
Sandra, I feel for you!  I have a box full of these tools and eyelets, some work, some don't - but you don't necessarily know which is which.

Try watching some Youtube videos, there are a few out there, and practice on scraps.  That's the only way I got to produce a half decent one.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lantana

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 13:13:11 PM »
I'm pleased to know it's not just me.
Sandra.
xxx

Oh Sandra bless you for sharing that! My experience exactly ... and it all looks so easy in the instructions. I just assumed it was me being useless as usual and so:-

Lost my temper after a while and have bashed a dent in my sewing table in frustration.

struck a cord ... been there done that etc. I always imagine that my fellow sewists are a) so much more competent than I and b) so much calmer!

What runs in my head is the saying 'a bad workman always blames his tools' so I always think it's my fault whereas as this thread shows ....sometimes it really is the bl00dy tools.

Lanty  :vintage:

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 17:03:48 PM »
The only snaps I got to fix ok were then nearly impossible to snap together and once snapped couldn't even be prised apart by my very strong DH with a screwdriver. :S
Life's too short for ironing.

Lyn-J

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 20:39:00 PM »
Sometimes they don't give you the right tool, sometimes they're just crap.  You may be cutting too big a hole- ideally you don't cut at all, but use an awl to make a hole, and gently work it apart.  I progressively use an awl, a wooden skewer and a chopstick!
thanks, this has worked!  0_0

I wouldn't trust these things to take a lot of stress.  I've used poppers on baby clothes, but a bit of a nightmare because they have 5 pointy bits underneath and I'd hate them to become unsecured. I've always told Mum to keep a careful eye on them.