The Sewing Place

Riding Habit

Syrinx

Re: Riding Habit
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2017, 08:36:49 AM »
My collar malfunction is understood now. Didn't helf that it was about a 1/4" too short on both sides. I shall practice padstitching the calico undercollar piece and cut two bigger collar pieces and attach to toile properly.

Tried jacket on a horse yesterday and needs an extra cm or so to back length and sleeve hem length to allow for jumping (and still looking elegant) as my trainer said, it's easier to push the sleeves up a tad in the elbow than to make them stretch out!

I will be cutting my skirt out of the cavalry twill today! Then after sewing pieces together it must be hung as it would be worn (so over some chairs!) to allow for 'drop' so that it gets it out of its system and I can then sew a lovely straight hem that won't sag. Tailor friend says is imperative.

Still have to choose my buttons... And my lining fabric. I have some samples arriving today, they are all shot fabric in a mix of blue, green, purple. Hope one of them fills me with joy!

But skirt! So need to do my velcro, darts, waistband (bit terrified about that as it needs extending I think as the back left panel needs extending. But I'm not sure so I will wait till I see my friend on Saturday and ask her.) and mark out where the buttons will go. I'm a bit rabbit in headlights just thinking about it! I shouldn't be so worried but the fabric is soooo expensive and I dont have any spare. 3m exactly!
I made no mistakes cutting out my toile so I'm not sure why I'm stressing now!

Sewingsue

« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2017, 11:34:28 AM »
Syrinx, I am filled with admiration for the task you have set yourself.

Please forgive a slight chuckle over trying the jacket on the horse.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

wrenkins

« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2017, 13:32:31 PM »
My pal does all that malarky. I knew about the false bun but not the rest of it. If it can make her look sophisticated it's more than an outfit...it's a magic trick!
I saw a picture and didn't recognise her. I've only known her 40 years.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Syrinx

« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2017, 15:23:57 PM »
Haha! Yes sophisticated is the goal ;)
I've cut the fabric for the skirt!
Thank goodness for my rotary cutter, it is soo thick. I've put all the dart marks etc on the pieces and now I have chickened out. I don't know what thread I should be using, or what needle, and it's really expensive fabric and I don't think unpicking is an option. So, I'm going to wait for the weekend and ask all the questions of my friend.

On the good news front, my new snazzy corset arrived and it is gorgeous. Have attached a pic, apologies for the dirty mirror. And the cavalry twill is absolutely wonderful. I also seem to have quite a lot of big offcuts... What to do with them as I'll have even more after the jacket pieces are cut out... Picture of me cutting some of it up!

DementedFairy

« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2017, 16:56:44 PM »
That's a pretty corset- looks like you could insert a teeny bit of padding at the hips if you want to make your waist look even smaller...
C'est moi!

Syrinx

« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2017, 17:10:53 PM »
It's a riding corset, so the hip bit gets filled with hip when you are sat down aside, and with the spread of hip and leg when astride ;)  shorter than a normal corset. It is super pretty :D rode my boy out today in it and was very odd - comfy, but definitely need to get used to using one astride! My wiggly spine was well and truly kept in its place!

Jo

« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2017, 17:47:57 PM »
hip bit gets filled with hip
0_0 0_0 0_0Syrinx, that corset looks lovely! :)
I haven't sewn any wool, especially thick wool. But I know that the thicker the fabric, the thicker the needle and the bigger the stitch length. You could try experimenting on some scraps, see what works best.