The Sewing Place

1920's/30's Singer needs a new home

HenriettaMaria

1920's/30's Singer needs a new home
« on: March 23, 2021, 15:36:12 PM »
My late MiL's mother was a tailor and had a Singer (a 15, I think) treadle.  A motor replaced the treadle at some point and it's sat in MiL's house for nigh-on 40 years.  I thought about having it but my own mother's 1970's Singer came my way first and I don't have space for yet another old machine.  Further, when they were clearing into the skip last summer, either my SiL or DH jettisoned the little box of feet that went with the machine, so it's straight stitch only.  The machine is still sitting in the house on the Hampshire coast, which has been bought by a relative as a holiday home.

DH met with the new owner yesterday and she doesn't want the machine so he has asked me to enquire if anybody knows anyone or any organisation that would want a heavy old machine.  I gave it the once-over, dusted and oiled it about 10 years ago and it still worked then.

Lace

Re: 1920's/30's Singer needs a new home
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 18:42:56 PM »
You could do a search on eBay of Completed Items to find a price and Facebook Marketplace is a good indicator.  15Ks are quite popular and they are not heavy, except when compared to modern machines with plastic parts that don't last as long. Is it still in a treadle or some sort of base?  Some charity shops take them, or sell on Gumtree, Facebook Marketplace, Freegle, etc. Do you have any local vintage machine repair shops, they might be interested. Replacement feet can be can be bought. I hope you can find a good home for it; they are worth while rescuing, if only as parts machines. Singer made all their own screws so some are quite hard to find.
Formerly at The Sewing Forum. Singer 12K, two 28Ks, 66K, 99K, four 201Ks, 221K, two drawing room cabinets, and Bernina Sport. All dating from 1891 to 1981.

charley

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 20:25:47 PM »
If you do not want to sell it, there are organisations that repurpose usable machine to overseas charities. Some machines are more desirable than others, and a 15 would fit the bill for them, I think they make sure that the machines are in working order and fit for purpose before gifting onwards.
Here is one organisation https://workaid.org/

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 14:45:53 PM »
If you do not want to sell it, there are organisations that repurpose usable machine to overseas charities. Some machines are more desirable than others, and a 15 would fit the bill for them, I think they make sure that the machines are in working order and fit for purpose before gifting onwards.
Here is one organisation https://workaid.org/

Thank you for this tip.  Chesham is about 45 - 50 minutes from us so definitely achievable.