The Sewing Place

Jemima Puddleduck - Help!

b15erk

Jemima Puddleduck - Help!
« on: March 23, 2021, 19:33:39 PM »
This is a really big ask, and I feel stupid for asking the question, but I'm stuck on the duck!

I knitted all the pieces for 2 or 3 of these toys a couple of years ago, then put them in a tin, and got on with other projects.

However, last week, suffering from a miserable cold, I dug it out again... then I quickly realised why it had been put away...

The pattern, written by Alan Dart for Woman's Weekly, is really quite difficult.  It is quite short on making up explanation, and as a result, sewing it up has had its difficulties.

I'm up to the tail atm, and I'm stumped.  It may be that my brain cell has gone walkabout, or just that knowledge is assumed which I haven't got...  Either way, I can't make this tail work.  :'( :'(

So, if any of you lovely ladies has made this pattern, and can point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful.

It hasn't got to the stage of holding me up, as there are so many pieces left to sew, but I would like Jemima to have her lovely jaunty tail...

TIA

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

StitchinTime

Re: Jemima Puddleduck - Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 19:58:48 PM »
What about asking the man himself? His website seems up to date so you might get a response.
https://www.alandart.co.uk/contact/

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 12:59:06 PM »
@StitchinTime thank you so much, I might just contact him, as I'm finding this particular pattern particularly difficult.

However, how much of the difficulty is my own fault is up for debate.  I actually re-visited the pattern last night, read it several times, and realised that this problem was totally down to me... :| :facepalm:

I've attached a pic, which shows where I went wrong.  The pics on the left show the pattern pieces as I had first knitted them, the pics on the right show how they should look!  No wonder I couldn't make it work... :rolleyes: :headbang:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

StitchinTime

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 13:51:08 PM »
I'm not a knitter, so I'm not sure how you managed to get such different shapes, but the ones on the right do look more tail-shaped. Glad you worked it out and look forward to seeing the finished duck.

WendyW

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 20:45:23 PM »
I DO know how to knit and I'm not sure where you went wrong either! Glad you got it figured out!