The Sewing Place

My problem or Elvistoos

Iminei

My problem or Elvistoos
« on: March 24, 2021, 06:45:18 AM »
Hi peeps ... Can I just aska question ...

Yesterday Elvistoo was doing a big stitchout and I decided to add a bit of bling with some metallics ... f

The first thread I used was from my Madeira Treasure Chest ... so a 40 weight Rayon which says machine embroidery on it and was slightly rough?! ... and all went well with only 2 breaks  during a 20 minute stitch

The second thread I used was an Anchor  50 weight??  on which it says metallic but I cant find any other (legible) information ... This was a smooth thread and a complete nightmare!! The thread breaking almost from the get go, after the fourth or fifth break I gave up and reverted to the Madeira !

So WHY the difference ???

Was the Anchor not for machine embroidery ?? Ie the problem was mine, user error or ?????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Stitches

Re: My problem or Elvistoos
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 06:48:43 AM »
Iminei I have found the best thread for metallics is King star .

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 09:16:15 AM »
I've read that it can be to do with how it unwinds.

I think metallic thread is "flatter" than the rounder embroidery thread, so twists more.  Imagine a toilet roll, and how it would unwind if you pulled it from one end of the tube, it would twist loads, but if you unwind it as you do on a toilet roll holder, it stays flat. 
I have a gizmo  that allows the thread to unwind flat like a toilet roll - but I've never tried it yet!

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 09:50:45 AM »
The first thread I used was from my Madeira Treasure Chest ... so a 40 weight Rayon which says machine embroidery on it and was slightly rough?! ... and all went well with only 2 breaks  during a 20 minute stitch
Madeira  Treasure chests vary in the threads they contain.

The second thread I used was an Anchor  50 weight??  on which it says metallic but I cant find any other (legible) information ... This was a smooth thread and a complete nightmare!! The thread breaking almost from the get go, after the fourth or fifth break I gave up and reverted to the Madeira !
There are several different Anchor metallics.

So not enough info on either thread to be sure of what they are, but if you want to send me close-up pics of the labels I'll try to ID.

Any thread which is intended for machine use will be wound on a reel/spool.  Threads intended for hand embroidery are either in balls (cotton perlé) or in skeins or packets which you just coudn't use on a machine.  However, metallic threads are nototious for shredding and thus breaking.  Those which have a nylon or polyester core which is wrapped with the metallic are generally smoother but friction will cause the outer layer to break and threads which are (usually) a mix of metallic and polyspun together are less smooth but stronger.

@Iminei can you post pics of the other ends of the reels please.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 10:10:55 AM »
@Iminei  If you would like to wind a couple of yards of each thread onto a small piece of card or folded paper and pop them in the post to me I'll make windings and try to ID them.

Some of the threads in my collection (from lace teaching and Threads For Lace book) are quite old now so the labels may well have changed.

This photo shows how many metallic theads are were available; there are very few duplicates in this little lot, which doesn't include the thicker chained metallics which are mostly used for knitting/crochet.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sara-S

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 11:05:35 AM »
What needle were you using? Was it a needle meant for metallic thread? I’m guessing here, but if one had a larger diameter than the other, the eye of your needle may have been too small for one of them.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Celia

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 11:15:26 AM »
You can use specific metallic needles but I have had the best results with top stitch needles, however every machine make and model are different, I have even had two exactly the same with different preferences.  :thinking:

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 11:54:16 AM »
My machine is very prissy when it comes to metallic threads.  Sometimes it will sail through with no problems, but then with another spool of the same thread it will turn it into a mangled mess every 100 stitches.

I really want to know whether @Bodgeitandscarper 's device makes a difference though!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 11:58:16 AM »
@Acorn I'll try to give it a go soon - but busy with knitting currently!  I'll be interested to see how it does too!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 12:00:54 PM »
I’ve had better success with the reel upright on the machine, especially when running Sulky Sliver which is an absolute nightmare and you can actually see it curling as it comes off the reel. 

KayK

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 12:23:02 PM »
Having completed that huge 'Golden Tapestry' I can contribute the following!
1.Kingstar metallic thread is by far the best, I have used over 2000 metres of the stuff with never a breakage or a twist.
2.  I use it on one of those 'Prym' metal thread stands, and stand it at least a metre away from the machine - this stops the thread twisting which sometimes leads to breaking.  It can be a bit sniffy if you use it on the machine spool holder.
3. I use metallic thread needles.  You will find the needle hole is longer, usually made of 'harder' material as the speed and friction of the thread can sometimes 'saw' into the needle hole and make little nicks.
4.  I use Brother embroidery bobbin thread - is fine but strong.
5. Slightly loosen the tension.

On a creative stitch course I did, we had to compare metallic machine threads, and Kingstar came out ahead, for being easy to use.

Hope this helps.
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well