The Sewing Place

Home wear for summer

Celia

Home wear for summer
« on: March 24, 2021, 11:28:11 AM »
I want to make something to wear instead of summer leggings, they are getting thinner and thinner. 2 years ago when life was normal I made trousers and t shirts of the same material which I love, I used a Style Arc pattern, I think it was Linda https://www.stylearc.com/shop/sewing-patterns/linda-stretch-pant/  they are great BUT

Now I spend my life crawling round the floor or climbing into attic’s, cleaning or sorting stuff, often with a lovely cats help????  I need something that won’t flap around my legs and attract said cats attention or get caught on the steps of the ladder and try to kill me :facepalm:  both have happened.

Any suggestions ?

Elnnina

Re: Home wear for summer
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 11:33:07 AM »
How about ordinary jeans that are not clinging to your leg, but have  a little give in them to enable you to move and crawl about in the loft.  At least jeans would be hard wearing and also protect you a little especially if there are any sharp objects hidden in the gloom.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 12:19:54 PM »
My huge favourite is New Look 6216, especially the trousers.
They are slimmer in the lower leg and slightly cropped so don't catch on things.
You can make them in wovens, stretch wovens or knits, though size down for the stretchy ones.

The t shirt is easy to make too, but it depends what sort of tops you prefer
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 12:26:07 PM by SewRuthieSews »

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 13:41:47 PM »
I live in stretch denim jeans - bought and home made.  Most of my time is spent crawling round or climbing over things
Life's too short for ironing.

Helen M

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 14:25:54 PM »
If you like the SA Linda pant (my first pant of their's that I made!) @Celia why not try the Barb? It has the same waistband but narrower leges, or the Elle pant which has a straight piece waistband?
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 17:08:51 PM »
Since you are going to be crawling about on all fours and climbing into the attic, what about dungarees @Celia?

Celia

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 09:52:19 AM »
Ooh I like some of these ideas, I am not comfortable in jeans and I usually find them a bit too warm for the type of weather I am thinking of, I do wear them out having said that, of course they haven’t been worn much lately  ;)
I do have  bothe the Elle and the barb patterns so will have a good look at them and my stash.

@UttaRetch i love dungarees but think I am a bit too old now, I also love jumpsuits, that’s why I made the pants and T-shirts to match to sort of imitate them.

@SewRuthieSews i do like that look but I can’t wear short pants that make me feel funny, I think it’s because I used to have problems finding them long enough years ago :laughing:

charlotte

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 15:08:25 PM »
i love dungarees but think I am a bit too old now

There is no such thing as too old for dungarees. Apart from anything else, they are too practical!

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 15:12:17 PM »
I'm contemplating dungarees and I'm 140  |O
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Celia

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 17:38:06 PM »
Well I am only 120 according to my profile so maybe dungarees are ok :devil:

Ellabella

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2021, 20:15:24 PM »
@Celia if you are at home surely dungarees would be fine, those that get to see you will be those that love you.  Go for it!

Tamnymore

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2021, 20:26:14 PM »
I'm contemplating dungarees and I'm ancient. I was admiring the dungarees worn by the lady on Pottery Throwdown - Siobhan  (? ). She's a lot younger than me but she's not thin and she looked great in dungarees. I've invested in the StyleArc Mildred pattern.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Celia

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2021, 20:30:18 PM »
@Tamnymore thats the one I was looking at and I also saw pottery throw down and loved them

Tamnymore

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2021, 20:58:49 PM »
Great minds think alike @Celia .
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Puzzler

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2021, 07:45:01 AM »
The Mildred is a really cute pattern.  :thumbsup: