The Sewing Place

The US serger/UK overlocker explanation


The US serger/UK overlocker explanation
« on: March 24, 2021, 17:01:14 PM »
It's only a bit of trivia I suppose which I discovered several years ago and didn't get around to sharing it at the time. I do find this stuff interesting though so, hopefully, so do you.

In Susan Huxley’s book, “Sewing Secrets from the Fashion Industry” (pub. 1996 - great book, now out of print)  she explains that “Whether a three-, four-, or five-thread  version, the home-sewing industry usually calls them all sergers. Yet only a 5-thread serger, which produces an overlocked edge accompanied by a chain stitch seam, can accurately be called a serger.”

It's an American book describing something that didn't happen in the UK for some reason hence all our 'sergers' are either overlockers (with a prescribed number of thread capabilities) or combo machines (overlock/coverstitch).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 21:51:48 PM by Marniesews »
Trying to coax myself back into making rather than just looking and dreaming!

Renegade Sewist

Re: The US serger/UK overlocker explanation
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 05:07:19 AM »
I took a class last March at the giant Bernina dealer. Remember when we used to do things like that? It was taught by one of the Bernina company educators and was on the overlocker. She said that a few months earlier Bernina had informed them and US dealers to start calling them overlockers.

I now switch between the two terms or use both.

Whatever you call them they are a handy machine to have around. I've done a couple of simple style quilt tops on mine. It was a blast and fast!