The Sewing Place

Utenologie?

William

Utenologie?
« on: March 25, 2021, 17:38:26 PM »
Hello-

I have been looking at a machine or two from Uten.

From where do these machines come? They look simalar to a Singer model (Brilliant?)
But i cannot be sure - I did a Wiki check and they are nowhere to be found. Any Info?

Thanks,
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

StitchinTime

Re: Utenologie?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 18:10:04 PM »
I don’t know where they are made but @Wayfarer has one of these machines and have posted about their experience:
https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,11748.msg215703/topicseen.html#msg215703

StitchinTime

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 18:16:50 PM »
I’ve found some information about Uten on this website. It says:
Uten is the trading name of RBU international LTD. They are a wholesale company based in the UK. Uten sources a high number of quality products from all over the world and rebrands them for the European market. As well as producing machines for sewing they also sell fitness products and kitchenware.

Bill

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 19:36:03 PM »
You rang?

I do indeed have a Uten 2685a and it is a fine machine.
As far as I know, Uten are the wholesalers as @StitchinTime linked to. The back of my machine has this label indicating they are part of a large sewing machine conglomerate.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

If you decide to go for this model, go for the one with the extension table. The extension is as far as I can tell, impossible to buy on it's own. I've tried everything I can think of to get one including contacting Uten themselves. No luck.
Another issue that may affect your willingness to buy one is repairability (is that a word?) Spare parts I assume will be all but impossible to get if anything goes wrong. Whether or not independent repair shops could work on it I'm not sure.
It would be worthwhile checking the needle alignment if you get one as mine was off by about half a millimetre. Enough to cause the needle to hit the foot when doing a zig zag stitch.
The motor is rated to a wussy 36watts also, but when doing heavier/thicker stuff, a bit of speed will be enough to get it to punch through.
The machine makes a nice quiet noise when it's running. Very smooth and there's no jerkiness when its pulling material through.
Build quality. The plastic housing on the machine has failed to impress me. Very few edges line up accurately and it's easily scuffed. The internal metal frame looks a bit rough to. However, one reviewer said the overall build quality exceeded that of a Janome they had taken apart. https://www.reddit.com/r/sewing/comments/jl4y2h/uten_2685a/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

I made a cloth of stitches so I knew what to expect when using them. I got bored and didn't finish it...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I hope this helps a bit.

Edit: seems my pics have gone on the wrong way round.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 19:38:59 PM by Wayfarer »
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Bill

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 10:55:45 AM »
Out of interest @William, I'm getting a new one on Saturday. Seeeeew, my 2685a needs a new owner if you'd be willing to part with £125 ono.
It's pretty much as good as new.
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

William

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 14:09:23 PM »
Thank You, but i just bought a Singer Quantum, though i am not really confident about it...

Will let y'all know about it after a bit...

WD
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.