The Sewing Place

Fabric - Wait or buy now

Gernella

Fabric - Wait or buy now
« on: March 27, 2021, 10:37:13 AM »
I've bought the pattern, I know I have other stuff to make so it might be end of this year or next before it gets made, if at all.  I look for fabric, just looking of course, see some I like.  So do I buy now, prices could go up or leave it

What would you do?  My fabric 'store' is around 50 meters at the moment, most of that is in smaller amounts of 1 or 1.5 meters.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Silver Rose

Re: Fabric - Wait or buy now
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 10:51:39 AM »
@Gernella  if you see some fabric that you really like buy it now because you'll be cross if it is gone later.
Still learning

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 11:22:14 AM »
Never assume fabric you love will still be there later.

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Helen M

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 11:34:14 AM »
Will you definitely make it @Gernella? I there is any doubt or it's not that important don't buy fabric. You may go off it by the time you get round to making it up.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 11:43:30 AM »
I always buy if I see something I really like.  We had some lovely knits when I was  at work and I made a cardigan in a denim blue. It washed up lovely.  I kept pondering over the same fabric in taupe.  There was just enough left on the bolt.  And I mentioned it to my colleague one morning.  She said, 'well buy it'.  I said I’d think about it.  Less than 30 minutes later I found myself wrapping up the remaining piece for a customer while my colleague sat not knowing whether to laugh or cry. 
 :rolleyes:

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 11:48:58 AM »
I'm buying or might buy from Clothspot,  @Acorn @Silver Rose so their fabrics don't last long, I accept that will be happen if I leave it, it's more a case of storage on something that might not happen for 18 months.  I could see something I like better in the future, but will it cost more.  I wouldn't be cross if it went, just move on, although if I buy with a project in mind, it generally gets used for that project, I don't deviate. 

I won't go off it @Helen M the only time things don't get done is I realise that I don't really need/will wear often or fabric when it arrives is not the colour it looked on the website, this is raspberry coloured, a favourite colour. 

:thinking:  :thinking:

Don't dither girl buy it, you know you want it.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ellabella

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 12:17:18 PM »
@Gernella get on with it, you know you want to.

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 13:35:22 PM »
I've bought it @Ellabella they now have 1.2 meters left so bought at the right time. At least fabric gets under the radar when it comes through the door.

Elnnina

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 15:11:22 PM »
I am another one who has bought fabric when I have seen something I like, and around 30 years ago I found I lovely little shop up on the Suffolk/Norfolk borders and used to stagger out of that place with a bin bag full of fabric.  Sadly I do not go that way now as my parents have both passed away, but it was a good way to build up a stash quite quickly - one particular visit I discovered they had a half price sale on every piece of fabric - needless to say the amount I spent that afternoon was large around £140.00 but oh what bargains  I had.  We had gone up to Suffolk because of my mother's birthday and our trips on a Saturday afternoon was to ensure that we did not disrupt their afternoon sleep!!!  So I have continued to rather buy fabric when I see something I particularly like, and thus my stash is enormous and I am so glad that I did this as I am almost housebound now and with the fabric shops just disappearing I only need to go looking in a cupboard or a storage box and I have something  I can sew straight away.

I am looking forward to seeing your jacket Gernella, it does sound just my sort of jacket and I do hope you are enjoying making this.

As we grow older and older and various health issue abound, it makes a lot of sense to do something that we like provided that we still can use our hands and why not, far better than just sitting and watching endless rubbish on the TV.  Sewing also keeps our brains active by working out what we are doing or alternative ways of doing this.  Just a few years ago I actually stitched some darts that I hadn't stitched in this way for nigh on  60 years or more - they were the ones that have a point at both ends and are created to give shape.  Then I also cut some sheets up and made these into fitted sheets and thus used French Seams - again something I had not done in years.  I am always thinking about what I am sewing when actually sewing and just how I am going to do things, and sometimes it is nice to deviate from the usual methods of sewing.

Gernella

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2021, 10:45:41 AM »
I wish I had the luxury of a fabric shop nearby @Elnnina but without travelling a long way, it won't happen.  There was a little shop in Bridlington that I found visiting one day, but to be quick (DH itchy to go) I finished up stocking up on just lining fabric (owner got shirty when I asked if they were good quality).  I quite like Clothspot because there is a lot of information about each fabric which is useful.

You are right though, when you get older you need to keep your brain active because if it has nothing to do it suffers.  I really don't know what I would do without internet shopping, and I don't mean recently, it has gone up substantially since I retired 15 years ago.  It beats getting a car out and trying to decide which place/shop would have something you need quick.