The Sewing Place

The Jacket

Gernella

The Jacket
« on: March 28, 2021, 15:36:23 PM »
Finally finished about three weeks ago, when I just stuffed away after 74 hours of work.  Towards the end I was not enjoying it because I was getting fed up of it.  Anything else I would probably have moved on and gone back later.  I just shoved in a plastic bag without even pressing it.

I cheated on the buttonholes, I didn't have the right thread and I had spent so much on it I did not want to spend anymore (perfection is overrated to me).  A machine one would have been too perfect so I did another way, on the reverse of the fabric, so you can just see it, which I like  better.  I ran out of lining because of the way I had cut it in oblongs, so I got another, which did not match but I wasn't in the mood for searching through emails to see where it had come from.

The toile for the sleeves was  too wide and too long so I reduced but left the length, which was a good job, from being level with my ring they are now about an inch above my wrist, which I think is how it was meant to be.  Most of it was just slow, steady and tedious as the only machine part was the outside seams.  I'm pleased with how it turned out but not in the market for making another. Kitty has made an appearance, they can always tell when you are 'doing' something.

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ploshkin

Re: The Jacket
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 16:09:33 PM »
I'm sure you will be glad that you persevered @Gernella   It looks lovely and well made.
Life's too short for ironing.

Silver Rose

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 16:12:20 PM »
Very smart, you have done a good job @Gernella , I like the buttons too.
Still learning

Elnnina

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 16:36:25 PM »
Well done Gernella, that is beautiful and looks so stylish  - and yes I was right, that is a jacket that I would like.  So when you eventually get around to wearing this - wasn't it to be someone's wedding? - wear this with pride as you deserve it after all the months of making this.

annieeg

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 17:09:36 PM »
@Gernella Lovely jacket - love the colour too 0_0

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 17:50:35 PM »
That’s lovely @Gernella.  I hope you enjoy wearing it......when you can! ;)

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 17:58:28 PM »
Well done @Gernella  that's really classy.  I hope you soon get an occasion to wear it.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

dolcevita

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2021, 18:05:57 PM »
Terrific work! A well-made jacket looks great with everything, particularly jeans, IMHO. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being the best-dressed person in the supermarket!

Lachica

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2021, 18:12:23 PM »
That's lovely. Very classy.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Gernella

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2021, 18:53:47 PM »
Very smart, you have done a good job @Gernella , I like the buttons too.

Mini cockup @Silver Rose  I put the sleeve ones on then went to the front ones, I got three down, reached for more and came out with a full packet of 9, the next size down and only 7 of the correct size, so I had to unpick  the buttons from under the lining and use the small ones for the sleeve.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Gernella

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 18:57:52 PM »
Terrific work! A well-made jacket looks great with everything, particularly jeans,

Oh I wish @dolcevita but I don't think  I could carry that off with being only small, my backside might have got smaller but nice height for clothes is beyond me.

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2021, 19:03:18 PM »
Very nice indeed - I do hope you have somewhere nice to wear it before long!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewingsue

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2021, 19:03:48 PM »
Beautiful work.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2021, 19:04:41 PM »
That looks really lovely  :)

Lilian

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2021, 19:42:04 PM »
Very nice indeed @Gernella Can't imagine what that would cost to buy in the shops.  It's very professional - well done!
Willing but not always able :)