The Sewing Place

Milward Thead rack

Gernella

Milward Thead rack
« on: March 28, 2021, 15:48:22 PM »
I must admit I'm quite impressed with this.  I had earlier bought a cheap plastic one, which I intend to use downstairs.  It was okay but felt a bit lightweight so went for this:

https://www.cottonpatch.co.uk/acatalog/Milward-60-Spool-Thread-Rack-Wood.html

I was surprised at how well made it is and unlikely to fall over.  Once kitty's had a look he generally doesn't bother anymore, not on his patch.   

Not so hot on 1000 meters though

I store them normally in Art Bin satchels but then I fetch them out and am too idle to put them back so they had accumulated in varies little plastic boxes.  I had a fall out with myself recently because I'd got that much behind the machine it was impeding fabric movement.  So I had a crack down.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Acorn

Re: Milward Thead rack
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 16:52:54 PM »
I have 5 of the June Tailor version, which is basically the same, for my embroidery threads and I don't know what I'd do without them.  I had to order the 5th one from the States recently though, because they stopped being available here - and I really needed the last one to be exactly the same size as the others, because they're mounted on the wall and need to line up!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 07:38:56 AM »
And this is my lil corner of hell of the dining room .....

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sara-S

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 14:14:53 PM »
Those look great. For frequently-used thread, I have a rotating wooden rack, as I lack the wall or table space for the kind you are using.

Here is the one I have
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FWZLBDS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Kad

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 14:54:20 PM »
I was once given one of those wooden tiered thread racks. I still have it although these days it's been repurposed as a thing/device to keep the baking trays etc tidy in a kitchen cupboard. My sewing room is too bright to have thread stored in anything other than drawers/cupboards.  I once spoiled a lot of machine embroidery threads by using the darn thing. It does a very good job at keeping my baking trays tidy though  :)
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 15:26:25 PM »
I only have 2 spools of thread at a time... :thinking:
One is mid grey and one is light cream
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 16:01:57 PM »
I like to keep my threads in drawers or boxes out of the light no away from dust etc.   One are now in really useful boxes.

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 18:17:34 PM »
I like to keep my threads in drawers or boxes out of the light no away from dust etc.   One are now in really useful boxes.

I've got some lovely boxes @Ohsewsimple  specially for that and out of the light, but they creep out.  The little tray that attaches to my Sew Steady table was cleared out this afternoon, I had four of the little beggars stuffed in.  I was actually wondering about getting a cover for the stack when not in use.  The room faces north, the sun in a morning won't hit them as I shut the side of the curtain it hits and late evening sun misses them altogether.  I have a bit of fabric leftover from a recent job, there might be enough to make a cover for it, perhaps using drawing pins or similar on the back and then just flip over. 

Trouble is when I get my head down I just want to sew, the best I can manage is clean the floor.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 22:17:31 PM »
I've got some lovely boxes @Ohsewsimple  specially for that and out of the light, but they creep out. 

Trouble is when I get my head down I just want to sew, the best I can manage is clean the floor.

:laughing:  Oh I can relate to that!   But I do get round to tidying the place or I often end up knocking reels of thread, machine feet, scissors and other bits straight in the bin. I always tidy when I’ve finished an embroidery because there can be anything up to 20 or more different reels out at one time.