The Sewing Place

Does a dog Bandana have to be 100% cotton?

suburban

Does a dog Bandana have to be 100% cotton?
« on: March 28, 2021, 16:28:59 PM »
Hi

I've been sewing dog bandanas and decided the curved 'bib' type are the best fitting. I do my best in terms of following the rules.  I know about making little cuts into the curve ( in my case, it's a gradual concave curve), but I wonder if I can avoid doing that - because the seam allowance will be 6 mm and I don't want to finish the seams.

It's not that I'm lazy, it's just that (for research purposes) I deconstructed the same 'bib  / boomerang' type bandanas by a big seller on 'Etsy'.  I noticed that she didn't appear to have finished her seams.  She had zero puckering around the concave curve of her bandana.  I wonder how she achieved that?   How did she end up with no puckering without making snips?  You see, the seam, when opened-up presented no evidence of having been clipped.

If you google suitable fabric for making dog bandanas, you get "100% cotton."  Would any of you use fabric other than cotton to make a dog bandana?  I don't fancy using anything which would irritate or cause harm to a dog, nor do I want to sew with something with a lot of stretch, because I'd struggle sewing with it.

Any suggestions?

Lilian

Re: Does a dog Bandana have to be 100% cotton?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 17:24:18 PM »
Hi @suburban I have made a few bandanas for my dog, only small cause she is small.  I make them from 100% cotton with a slight curve but I make them double-sided with a small seam allowance, turning it through and topstitch around it.

EDIT: spelling
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 19:13:34 PM by Lilian »
Willing but not always able :)

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 18:04:29 PM »
If it's a gentle curve and mostly on the bias you will liely get away without clipping if you use a narrow seam allowance (1/4 inch - 6mm).  The more stable and closely woven the fabric the more necessary it is to clip.  Craft weight cotton is fairly forgiving and will allow you to do that.  If you use poly-cotton it bocomes a bit less flexible as the poly content increases.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 19:09:14 PM »
Our woofbags have fleece suits, and some thinner stretch polyester type ones, so I'd say, no, it doesn't need to be cotton.  Fleece is great, easily sewn, easily machine embroidered as well if you do that.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 19:44:11 PM »
Why, unless it really drools, does a dog need a bandana? It's a dog, not a fashion accessory. (Joins poultry behind settee - some of you will get that ;))

coffeeandcake

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 20:49:12 PM »
My daughter's Old English Sheepdog wears bandanas - Harris Tweed  :rolleyes:  They're lined with cotton and topstitched like @ Lillian's. I don't think that most dogs would be irritated by fabrics as they have their hair between their skin and the bandana. Not quite sure about the relationship between drooling and bandanas as the vast majority of dogs' mouths are too far away from the bandana for it to be of any use in that situation.

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 23:15:07 PM »
I like a bandana on a dog @Deafoldbat my dog doesn't drool but after she's been to the groomers a large scar is visible down the back of her neck where a lump was removed. I put a bandana on until the hair grows a bit  :woof:

suburban

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 16:06:58 PM »
Hi @suburban I have made a few bandanas for my dog, only small cause she is small.  I make them from 100% cotton with a slight curve but I make them double-sided with a small seam allowance, turning it through and topstitch around it.

EDIT: spelling

Thanks Lilian!  I do the same thing, turning it through. 

suburban

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 16:10:54 PM »
If it's a gentle curve and mostly on the bias you will liely get away without clipping if you use a narrow seam allowance (1/4 inch - 6mm).  The more stable and closely woven the fabric the more necessary it is to clip.  Craft weight cotton is fairly forgiving and will allow you to do that.  If you use poly-cotton it bocomes a bit less flexible as the poly content increases.

Thank you!  I will now google 'craft weight cotton'!  I only used poly-cotton when I first started sewing, because it was cheaper.  I thought it was like the poor relation?  Or that dog owners would think I was short-changing them by not using 100% cotton. This is all in the future though, I'm just the Queen of Procrastinators...

suburban

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 16:12:19 PM »
Our woofbags have fleece suits, and some thinner stretch polyester type ones, so I'd say, no, it doesn't need to be cotton.  Fleece is great, easily sewn, easily machine embroidered as well if you do that.

That's a good point!  I see those fleece body suits everywhere now. They always look great.  I suppose with spring / summer arriving I won't see them as much.  However, I never thought of that!

suburban

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2021, 16:14:41 PM »
Why, unless it really drools, does a dog need a bandana? It's a dog, not a fashion accessory. (Joins poultry behind settee - some of you will get that ;))

You're right - perhaps no dog needs one.  I will be "marketing" what I make as a fashion accessory.  I use quotation marks because I feel a bit of a fraud, having not even established a company / small business yet!  But you know what I mean..

suburban

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2021, 16:20:08 PM »
I like a bandana on a dog @Deafoldbat my dog doesn't drool but after she's been to the groomers a large scar is visible down the back of her neck where a lump was removed. I put a bandana on until the hair grows a bit  :woof:

I never thought of that.   :thinking:  I mean that a potential customer would have that need.  Please don't think of me as Ms Greed is Good.  I mean, I'm sorry your dog had to have a surgical procedure.  But there are reasons why someone would like to buy dog "fashion accessories", other than for frivolous purposes...

Deafoldbat

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2021, 18:57:37 PM »
@suburban If you can get fools to part with their money, why not? I just feel some people don't want a dog so much as a fluffy toy. I can see the point of @Bodgeitandscarper 's suits for her dogs - keeps them clean on muddy days.

Lilian

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2021, 22:36:37 PM »
I don't particularly like 'dressed up' dogs but people are willing to part with their cash for it.  A bandana is not 'dressed up' in my opinion.  I think it comes from the canal boat people who mostly put a bandana on their dogs.  :)

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2021, 06:08:00 AM »
They tend to make  dogs look friendlier and more approachable when out in public. Whether that's a good thing or not I can't really say.

As for your little future business it's always wise to think through everything, look at all the angles and be fully aware of what you're getting into before you get too deep. If you have a skillset, have identified a product that uses it and locate a clientele for it then go for it.

Having said that, as a fellow procrastinator, if you'd like to see my list of business ideas I've had I'm sure it's somewhere around here. I finally realized I'm just too low energy to actually do much with them.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.