The Sewing Place

Pink Sequined Dungarees

charlotte

Pink Sequined Dungarees
« on: March 29, 2021, 09:42:17 AM »
I was in need of a quick and easy project to take a break from hand-stitching my wedding dress and boost my mojo. Also, my sewing space was in desperate need of tidying, so I thought if I covered it in sequins I would HAVE to tidy it.  :D

My sister-in-law's hen party in July has a 'summer festival' theme (I'm unclear as to exactly what this means!) so I thought I'd work on an outfit for that.

The fabric is from Minerva. It's a mesh, with stretch in one direction, covered in lines of plastic sequins and then a floral fabric printed on top. I've only seen this once technique once before, on an extortionately-priced Liberty 'special base'.

I was a bit put off by the amount of plastic, but as it is deadstock, I felt justified buying it. (Although I am aware that the sustainability/environmentally-friendly-ness of deadstock is highly debatable.)

As I did not want the stretch, I mounted it on a pale pink cotton lawn, which really makes the colour pop. I just machine-tacked the edges (I would usually attach underlining by hand) and it worked fine with this fabric. I also spray-painted my buckles gold.

I used my third-best scissors and cut straight through the sequins. They also went through both machine and overlocker extremely easily. I added 8cm of width so I didn't need any sort of zip/buttons on the sides and added in-seam pockets.

I machine-understitched the facing as far as possible and just left the bits I couldn't reach! The hem is a machine-blind hem.

I was going to say this was a project without any hand stitching, but I did hand-stitch my 'handmade by Charlotte' label to the facing, as I wanted to stitch it in black, and I couldn't be bothered to rethread my machine. Other than that, no hand-stitching, and I completed the whole project in one day. And them cleaned up all the sequins the next morning...

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Pink Sequined Dungarees
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 10:00:59 AM »
Very bling  0_0

Flobear

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 10:04:31 AM »
I think you've nailed the Summer Festival vibe with those, @charlotte  :D
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 12:03:36 PM »
Fabulous!   :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Nevis5

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 12:17:26 PM »
Wow! very creative - and time consuming  :faints:

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 12:46:33 PM »
You can’t beat a bit of sparkle... we need to see a picture when you’re wearing them.

charlotte

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 13:31:29 PM »
I need a knitted crop top to wear under them (obviously!) so I'll wait until the whole outfit is finished before I do a photoshoot  :D

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 16:11:11 PM »
Wow, very bright and blingy. 

dolcevita

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 17:46:21 PM »
That's about as much fun as a pair of dungarees can be!

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 17:59:18 PM »
You can't beat a bit of bling.

They look fab  :)