The Sewing Place

When hoarding new stuff is not good

Gernella

When hoarding new stuff is not good
« on: March 29, 2021, 11:47:56 AM »
Last week DH asked me  for a safety pin, I didn't ask what for, not that interested.  This morning ironing boxers I came across a pair of new ones with the safety pin in at the waist.  When washing the week before I'd missed a pair at the bottom of the bin so he was a pair short and had to get a new pair out :faints:

Serves him right.  Which means that the other new hoarded is all too big.  Silly boy.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Helen M

Re: When hoarding new stuff is not good
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 12:16:46 PM »
They may shrink when washed. They don't make them like they used to.........
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 18:15:17 PM »
Last week DH asked me  for a safety pin, I didn't ask what for, not that interested.  This morning ironing boxers I came across a pair of new ones with the safety pin in at the waist.  When washing the week before I'd missed a pair at the bottom of the bin so he was a pair short and had to get a new pair out :faints:

Serves him right.  Which means that the other new hoarded is all too big.  Silly boy.

Ironing boxers? No, no no darling! If the old fellow wants pressed boxers he can do his  own. You've got much better things to do.  :hug:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 18:21:59 PM »
Cottonish  @Renegade Sewist  they only need to see the iron and they look good.

When you don't do the cooking you have to show some 'value' in having a wife :laughing:
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

William

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 10:25:57 AM »
Speaking as a man, and one who wears boxers, i must ask why in the world would someone iron
boxers???

Just my 2 cents...
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 11:05:07 AM »
More to the point, why iron anything :laughing:

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 12:04:58 PM »
More to the point, why iron anything :laughing:
'
I do so many 'not iron thats' @Bodgeitandscarper that there is barely anything there as it is. My tops, of course, skirts, his  shirts, hankies (not mine), and boxers, which as has been pointed out don't really need ironing although there is one pair that definitely does.  In my defence I have a fabulous ironing board and similar in steam generator, one must play with the toys.

I was having my walk on the treadmill and my neighbour had her whirly  girly out with what looked like duvet covers on. What a pasty lot she had, no colour at all, very disappointing.   Actually I don't wash these very often, I use sheets and when they do get washed I certainly don't iron them or the sheets.

Marniesews

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 01:58:48 AM »
Well, my mum thought it was a marvellous idea. In the 1960s-90s she bought lots from the catalogues and hid them in the big wardrobe, either under the guise of getting ready for the holidays (always new clothes for the hols) or hidden away and then brought out at intervals so she could 'honestly' say, "Not new, I've had it for ages dear."  :angel:

Somehow she even managed to do it when they were both out shopping without him realising too.  ;)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.