The Sewing Place

Do you clean your machine before starting a new project?

So Chic

Re: Do you clean your machine before starting a new project?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2021, 15:40:25 PM »
I clean my machines after every use.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Lowena

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2021, 15:57:18 PM »
I clean my machines after every use.
:faints:
@Acorn you mean, fabric has fluff? :faints:  :P
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2021, 20:58:54 PM »
:faints:
@Acorn you mean, fabric has fluff? :faints:  :P

So does cotton  thread!

Tamnymore

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2021, 21:17:16 PM »
Oh you are all so good.
Slopes off whistling guiltily to give her machines a clean.....
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Marniesews

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2021, 01:52:16 AM »
I clean my overlocker any old time: beginning, mid-way or at the end. I always seem to be opening the hatch several times through the job and whenever the works are showing any dust/fuzz, the little brush comes out - or else I'd forget at the end. I find it rather satisfying cleaning the overlocker because it houses more lint than the sewing machine which isn't done faithfully after every project as there's so little to find.

Every couple of weeks I will get out the mini accessories set for the vac and give any of the machines at hand a more thorough clean and oiling. Perhaps that's why it's rare to spot more than a light sprinkling in the sewing machines. Those little vac sets are an absolute boon.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2021, 03:31:05 AM »
I haven't sewn in 3 years now.  :'( If I recall correctly I cleaned the overlocker during and after if I was sewing fleece or cotton knit. Since I sew sporadically at best I always take a quick look inside before I start sewing. The sewing machine gets cleaned out every time a  bobbin comes out for color change or to refill. Takes less than one minute.

BTW, I change the needle at the beginning of any significant project, a new quilt, or if the last project was polyester. If I'm sewing pillowcases I can sew quite a few. A dull or dulling needle makes a different sound when it pierces the fabric.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2021, 14:22:59 PM »
If I'm making a start-to-finish project (rather than a repair) the bobbin case gets removed and the brush whirled about in there once it's completed.  About every half-dozen projects or so I remove the casing over the moving parts (the up-down bits) and under the bobbin and give them a clean and an oil too.

The overlocker gets a good de-fluff after every project because it really builds up.  The manual says to apply oil only on a couple of spots so they get done after every few projects too.

rubywishes

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2021, 09:25:59 AM »
Both the Jukis get a complete clean out after each project. The 2010 is a mechanical straight stitch machine and has about 97,000,000 oil holes that religiously get a drop in each them as per the manual instructions before each sewing session. I rather like getting all my tools and oil out and setting about making everyone happy and clean. Needles get changed each project too.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!