The Sewing Place

The Martindale Test

sewmuchmore

The Martindale Test
« on: April 01, 2021, 09:06:59 AM »
I am in the process of recovering my 3 piece suite and making curtains and needed to remind my self of the rub test count and suitability of the fabric so thought i would share this with you.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Hummingbird

Re: The Martindale Test
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 10:48:23 AM »
Keep fire regulations in mind too for the suite......there are lots of places selling FR fabric

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 11:22:05 AM »
Well I’ve never seen that before. Interesting @sewmuchmore

Esme866

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 07:30:17 AM »
@sewmuchmore On this side of the pond my brain went, "What does a three piece suit (business attire) have to do with curtains?" And the brain produced a momentary snapshot of Julie Andrews and the Von Trapp kids in the drapery play clothes.

Fortunately, the fact I have an Interior Design degree kicked in.

The one type of fabric easily available in my area is home dec, as we still have numerous furniture factories around here, so "jobbers" sell bolt ends to the stores of all qualities at huge discounts.

I've dealt with so much commercial grade fabric I can just run my fingers over the fabric and feel the grade. I prefer contemporary fabrics so I typically buy commercial grade for furniture. Usually woven tight enough to help with pet claws.

Studied the rub charts 40 years ago at uni. 30,000 stuck in my brain. Looked at your chart - yep, that's commercial grade.

Took me 8 years to memorize my last hard line phone number 20+ years ago. Forget my youngest nephew's b-day EVERY year, my first boss's phone number was 688-7079. Dialed it three times in 1976 &77.

My brain boggles it's own mind - several times a day. But thanks for the refresher!