The Sewing Place

Fibre Mood Patterns

Lemon Syllabub

Fibre Mood Patterns
« on: April 01, 2021, 14:42:02 PM »
I’m in the mood for dancing, romancing oooh I’m giving it all tonight :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
( I am really sorry I just can’t help it…but you can’t beat a bit of The Nolans!)

I was just wondering what you think of Fibre Mood patterns.

I like the idea of a pattern magazine and I saw a Burda one in Tescos the other month. I didn’t buy it because the pattern sheets looked too crowded for my eyesight.

Then I saw some posts on here about Ottobre Design so I looked at those online and then I saw this!!!

Yes I know the models are all super slim and would probably look great wearing a paper bag but I really liked the style of some of these patterns. There are 12 in this edition (9 women’s, 3 children’s), and I can see myself making at least 4 of them… if the first one turns out OK.

I ordered it and it came the other day. The first thing I’m going to try is this
oversized cardy

I’ve just finished tracing it off. Some of the pieces are too large for the pattern sheet so they are in two parts and have to be joined together. One of the joins is in the armscye and the two pieces don’t appear to line up! I’ll check my tracing again as it could be me.  :rolleyes:

Anyway, I was just wondering what experiences people have had using these  patterns and whether there are any pitfalls I should prepare for.

Efemera

Re: Fibre Mood Patterns
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 16:53:02 PM »
Not used those but have used Ottobre which I like.

Helen M

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 19:36:52 PM »
I have made up a Fibremood pattern but I used a download PDF rather than trace it. They sometimes have special offers.

I think I posted a picture in my garments made thread, it was the Daniella dress and I was pleased with the pattern.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 19:46:06 PM »
I like that cardigan. It'd look great in a mesh or voile or lace over a swimsuit or summer dress too - or inserting a voile panel in the back  as a contrast fabric texture.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Helen M

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 19:53:49 PM »
Have you looked for them on Instagram @Lemon Syllabub? I have an account but don't post only follow or 'save' things that I like. I thnk that was where I first saw their patterns made up. It's a timewaster but you can just look.  :)

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 13:17:35 PM »
@Efemera I keep hearing good things about Ottobre Design. That could be next on my shopping list.  :)

@Helen M Just popped over to your diary. Your Daniella dress looks lovely. That's one of the patterns in this magazine edition that I'd like to sew (I may shorten it to make it into a top?). I looked on Instagram. There are some amazing things on there.

@Catllar 'lace over a swimsuit' sounds heavenly, it also sounds like some lucky person lives in a hot country!  I hadn't thought about making it for a Summer holiday, but now you've given me the idea it does have lots of summery possibilities.

I'm making my current cardy from a blue, fluffy boucle knit. Definitely more care bear than sun kissed goddess!  :o

annieeg

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 13:22:11 PM »
I also like Ottobre patterns.  Well worth the time investment tracing them off :thumbsup:

Helen M

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 14:58:00 PM »
@Helen M Just popped over to your diary. Your Daniella dress looks lovely. That's one of the patterns in this magazine edition that I'd like to sew (I may shorten it to make it into a top?). I looked on Instagram. There are some amazing things on there.

It's a good issue! I like both of the dresses.

@Lemon Syllabub I've almost finished a top in a much finer viscose jersey of the Daniella and I'm pleased with it.

I have changed the neck piece (I had already taken 1" off it on my dress and you are still able to fold it over if you want to). I shaped it by drawing making it >    < at the halfway point where you would turn over the fabric to make the neck piece. I wanted it closer to my neck when it stands up. It works fine but I over compensated on the width so I'll unpick and also make it slightly lower as well as it's more like a T shirt weight so flops.

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 17:21:00 PM »
@annieeg
I also like Ottobre patterns.  Well worth the time investment tracing them off :thumbsup:
I'll definitely give them at try.  :)

@Helen M It's good to know the Daniella works as a top in a thinner fabric. I must practice & improve my machine hemming skills for knits.... or I could just wear it tucked in.  :rolleyes:

I've almost finished my cardy. It came together really quickly once I'd sorted out my armscye discrepancy.

I'll hand stitch the hems tomorrow. :)

Helen M

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 19:31:12 PM »
Good news on the cardi @Lemon Syllabub!

Re the neck on the Daniella. I'd say it would also work with just a 3/4" deep neckband, like on a T shirt, if you were using a finer fabric. I'm toying with the idea of doing that so I can wear in spring and summer. I hadn't done a gathered sleeve either at the shoulder or into a cuff before and I'd say you need a bit more length than you would for an ordinary sleeve, hence my initial faux pas, as I have short arms and shorten sleeves on everything!

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 15:37:29 PM »
I think sleeve length seems to be a bit of a theme with Fibre Mood. Looking at the photos from my magazine lots of the patterns seem to have bracelet length sleeves. I know these can look lovely on some people but usually I prefer something a little longer. I added 5cm to the sleeves of my cardy. I also added 12 cm to the length of the back and front pieces as I wanted it to be really long!

Here’s my finished care bear costume   cardy.  :)
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Helen M

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2021, 20:19:15 PM »
Love your cardi @Lemon Syllabub and the fabric! How did you find the sizing, was it how you expected?

I think you could be right about the sleeve lengths, when I looked at the photo of the Daniella dress the cuff finished higher than I'd wanted mine to be.

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2021, 08:42:47 AM »
@Helen M  It's such an oversized cardy I just looked at the finished garment measurement chart and guessed really!  :rolleyes:

I'm going to trace off a Daniella today to make into a top so I think that will give me a clearer idea of where I fit into their sizing.

I'm currently looking at two pieces of freshly laundered jersey; one I really like and one that looked better on my computer screen!  I'll have a practice with the fabric I'm not too fussed about first and if all goes well, I'll make it with the nicer one.  :) 
Fingers crossed.

annieeg

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 09:52:15 AM »
@Lemon Syllabub
That's a very nice looking cosy cardigan and a lovely colour.
Look forward to your feedback on the next Fibre Mood project.

Helen M

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2021, 10:03:04 AM »
Love your cardi @Lemon Syllabub and the fabric! How did you find the sizing, was it how you expected?

I think you could be right about the sleeve lengths, when I looked at the photo of the Daniella dress the cuff finished higher than I'd wanted mine to be.

@Lemon Syllabub the Daniella is supposed to be close fitting over the bust, I think. I wasn't sure of sizing either so I cut 36 instead of 34 (EUR sizing). I used the smaller size lower down but it depends how loose you want it to be. I think I should have narrowed the shoulder (I'm very narrow shouldered) but as it seems to sit further in for the gathers on the sleeve it ended up being okay for me. Hope all of that makes sense!