The Sewing Place

Fibre Mood Patterns

Lemon Syllabub

Re: Fibre Mood Patterns
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2021, 18:23:38 PM »
I’ve almost finished my Daniella. I decided to make it as a dress first. It went together really easily. So far I’ve found Fibre Mood pattern drafting to be very good. As the pattern has negative ease at the bust I decided to be guided by the size chart and not worry about finished measurements. I’m really pleased with the fit and I love the style of the sleeves.  <3 (I added 2cm to the sleeve length).

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I’ve stopped at the point of sewing the hem as I know I’m on the precipice of snatching defeat from the the jaws of victory!

I have very limited experience of sewing knits. The first knit I ever sewed was a sweatshirt type thing at the beginning of this year. The machine sewn hem is so HORRIBLE I won’t even wear it for bed! The next stretchy little number was my blue velvet top which I hand stitched. Super happy with this top and the hand stitching just melts into the velvet nap. Then there’s my blue fluffy care bear cardy, which is soo cosy I’ve worn constantly since I made it!!! Again my hems were hand stitched. I’m not sure what to do about my Daniella dress hem as the jersey is relatively thin and curls.  :(

I’ve spent ages playing around with scraps of this fabric but nothing looks vaguely nice. A zig zag stitch isn’t controlling the folded hem, a straight stitch is giving a frilly lettuce leaf undulation, a twin needle produces tunnelling and my hand stitching isn’t giving a nice finish.  :facepalm:

I’ll try again tomorrow!

Next time I make this pattern I’ll either make it in something with more weight so I can easily hand stitch the hem or I’ll make it as a top and tuck it in.  :thumbsup:

Silver Rose

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2021, 18:47:35 PM »
It's lovely, well done. The fabric is pretty and I like the pattern very much. Is the dress fitted or loose? I am never completely happy with any hemming method when sewing the thinner jerseys.
Still learning

Tamnymore

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2021, 20:37:15 PM »
Looks fab. Very nicely made.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Helen M

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2021, 20:45:41 PM »
Your dress is lovely @Lemon Syllabub, so glad you are pleased with it! Not sure what to suggest for hemming. Have you tried just a straight machine stitch in the lighter shade of thread?

Did you alter the neck at all and have you folded it over (or inside) ? Just curious!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2021, 22:03:55 PM »
@Lemon Syllabub that looks lovely.  Before I had a coverstitch machine I used to sew fusible interfacing to the edge of the hem on the wrong side, making sure the fusible side was up.  Then fold the hem and fuse it in place.  That stabilises the hem and you’re then able to sew in place.  You can get knit interfacing which maintains some stretch.   If you don’t need the hem to stretch it doesn’t matter!   But check on the space you need to get the garment on.  :thinking:   I like a triple zig zag stitch as it lies nice and flat but still stretches.  In fact it will often be fine without the interfacing. 

Catllar

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2021, 23:11:18 PM »
Have you tried double sided hem tape and then stitch hem as you like - double or single needle? The hem tape washes away and doesn't gum your needles either.

Also meant to say Love your snuggly cardigan!!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 23:14:18 PM by Catllar »
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2021, 09:44:54 AM »
Thank you for all your advice about the hem.  <3
I’m going to have another play with my fabric scraps today.  :thumbsup:
Thumbs up and fingers crossed.

@Silver Rose  The dress is fitted at the bust and then flares out into an A line. The instructions say you can go up or down a size depending on how much ease you like. The one the model's wearing looks like it’s a larger size than her measurements. I wanted to make one exactly as per my bust measurement with no alterations (except the sleeve length), as a guide to see whether I need/want to make other changes. 

The fabric I used looked nicer online than when it arrived. It’s thinner and the pattern is larger than I thought it would be so I used it as a practice garment. To my total surprise it looks much nicer sewn up as a dress than it did on my washing line! I now wish I’d taken care with the pattern placement but hey ho if I can manage to sew a ‘respectable’ hem then I’ll still wear it.  :rolleyes:

@Helen M Dorian my dummy is wearing the neck piece folded over like a polo neck. When I was prancing around trying it on yesterday I left it unfolded and it sort of crinkled down which I thought looked OK.  -< perhaps.

dolcevita

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2021, 17:48:53 PM »
I've used this stuff a lot in the past - steam-a-seam tape.
It's brilliant for controlling badly behaved curly knit hems and the sticky side of the tape means that you don't need to worry about pins for the hem, either. Just tape them, fold, iron, and they're ready for sewing.

Love the dress and the cardigan.